How to set beginning measure number?

edurbrow

I looked through the manual but could not find where you change the beginning bar number. I tried messing with the Bar positions in the Synchronization tab in the Settings, but that didn't do it. I know this must be easy. It comes up all the time. I want a few divisions before beat one to capture attacks but I want bar 1 to be bar 1. When I drag everything over, even though global tracks are selected, the bar numbers don't change. Right now it starts at -1. I don't know how that happened.

TIA

There's a little square at the top left of the timeline similar to the one at song end. Hover your mouse there and you'll get a grab tool that you can drag to the right to move the grid over.

BTW, it's often a good idea to start a song at a later bar to ensure that no automation occurs before bar one, which causes Logic to do strange things.

And if by any chance you're looking for a way to offset bars in Score:

Prefs > Score > Numbers and Names tab > Bar offset

There's a little square at the top left of the timeline similar to the one at song end. Hover your mouse there and you'll get a grab tool that you can drag to the right to move the grid over.

I'm still not getting it. I can drag that square but the bar numbers' relation to regions stay the same. At the bottom you can see a region starting about an eighth note before the bar line. I want that bar to be number 1. I'd then like either a full measure called 0 or, a measure of 1/4. There doesn't seem to be a way to always start at a certain place without using the cycle.

BTW, it's often a good idea to start a song at a later bar to ensure that no automation occurs before bar one, which causes Logic to do strange things.

Do you mean have a bar before the music starts SO automation and patches can set themselves?

And if by any chance you're looking for a way to offset bars in Score:

Prefs > Score > Numbers and Names tab > Bar offset

Understand. That is not what I'm looking for right now. I haven't done any printing in Logic yet. Still newbie mode.

Thank you.

1386681427_Picture23.png.9af23992f00f92cc68bd89dea6a440aa.png

Okay, I see I had an extra marker in there that I removed. It is starting exactly where I want it to but the start point is -1 4 1 1. I want it to be 0 4 1 1.

TIA

Um...

May I suggest that you do NOT want to do that. Setting the start marker to anything other than 1 1 1 1 has the potential to corrupt your song. And I see the makings of this starting to happen from your screenshot. See how the automation node doesn't extend to start of the song (as it should)? That's a problem!

Rule of Thumb with Logic: never set the start marker to anything other than 1 1 1 1, especially if you have any automation recorded.

May I suggest that you do NOT want to do that. Setting the start marker to anything other than 1 1 1 1 has the potential to corrupt your song. And I see the makings of this starting to happen from your screenshot. See how the automation node doesn't extend to start of the song (as it should)? That's a problem!

Rule of Thumb with Logic: never set the start marker to anything other than 1 1 1 1, especially if you have any automation recorded.

I didn't intentionally change the start point. I just noticed it was starting in the wrong place. Are you saying that if there is an anacrusis or some data a division before the first bar, we cannot change the measure to 0, we must adjust our thinking? I realize I can offset in the notation window, but it is difficult to think of a song starting on 2 1 1 1 .

You can see that the track has a slow attack so I stretched just enough so that it feels like it starts on a downbeat. If that were 1 1 1 1, it would be great, if I could start on the 4th beat that would be greater, but if I have to have a 7/8 empty bar starting on 1 1 1 1 in order to avoid corruption, I'll do that. I just don't know how to get the numbers to change.

So what should I do? I put a marker at the beginning and called it start. This is a partial bar, which is good. Who wants to wait 3 1/2 beats everytime you rewind. But are you saying this is dangerous? Should I live with a complete bar there? I think I can drag the start box, but then how do I get the beginning to be 1 1 1 1 ?

Thanks again.

1355963390_Picture25.png.1c41d32cc4c2835d0981466ce03de1d8.png

I didn't intentionally change the start point. I just noticed it was starting in the wrong place.

That happens sometimes, especially if you attempt to record something right on the downbeat of bar 1. What happens is that Logic will start your countoff in bar 0, and if you play just a bit ahead of the beat it will move the start marker to bar 0 to accommodate this situation. And the situation can be compounded if you attempt this more than once.

Are you saying that if there is an anacrusis or some data a division before the first bar, we cannot change the measure to 0, we must adjust our thinking? I realize I can offset in the notation window, but it is difficult to think of a song starting on 2 1 1 1 .

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

In this situation, just because Logic lets you do something doesn't mean that you should; Logic is software, and all software contains bugs or broken features. This is one of them. You will be much better off trying to adapt in this situation rather than fight it. I normally don't offer that kind of advice, as I rarely feel that one should conform their creativity to the limitations of software, but this is one situation where you will do more harm than good if you try to fight against it.

So what I said in my post is what I meant.

As far as fixing it, check out this thread:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=66751

thanks for putting all that in writing Ski... i found this out the hard way sometime last year and wasn't sure if it was just my system or something general--after 3 corrupt projects I realised what the reason was and haven't modified the start point since then.. it's good to see confirmation that it's a known problem .. well 'good'..maybe not .. but you know what i mean :wink: