(the) Logic Pro X Rumours Thread

Darude

From www.MacRumors.com:

"Japanese site Macotakara reports that Apple may be finishing up work on a new version of its Logic professional audio software, with the new version being named Logic Pro X. According to a rough English translation provided alongside the original Japanese-language report, a source familiar with the status of the project appears to report that the news comes from a source involved in a "customer interview" with Apple's Logic team.

The report indicates that Apple will be discontinuing the Soundtrack Pro component of Logic Studio with the update, which would mirror the move taken with the release of Final Cut Pro X earlier this year. Soundtrack Pro 3 had been offered with both Final Cut Studio and Logic Studio, but is no longer included as part of the Final Cut Pro X application set.

As far as other Logic Studio components, Logic Pro X is also said to fold some of the existing production tools such as WaveBurner directly into the core Logic Pro application. MainStage, Apple's software for bringing virtual instruments and effects to live performances, is reportedly set to be spun out as a separate standalone application.

The report does not specify how Apple plans to distribute Logic Pro X, although it seems reasonable to assume that it would be a Mac App Store release like Final Cut Pro X. MainStage would likely also be offered via the Mac App Store much as Motion and Compressor are offered separately from Final Cut Pro.

No rumored release date for Logic Pro X is given in the report, with the only concrete detail being that Apple will not be incorporating a GarageBand-style user interface for the revamped application, likely sticking to a more complex interface more appropriate for the professional-level nature of the software.

Apple launched Logic Pro 9 as part of a revamped Logic Studio suite in mid-2009, and brought 64-bit compatibility."

So, this report says Apple will remove Soundtrack Pro (well duh, they've already killed it from FCP, it's a 98% certainty it's dead and will be removed from Logic).

Mainstage will become a separate app (duh, well it already is) and will be a separate purchase from Logic (well yeah, because they are unbundling the apps in the "Studio" suites and making everything individual app store purchases, as they've shown already with FCP/Motion etc).

Both Logic and Mainstage will be available on the app store (again, duh), and so the only other pieces of information is that Logic will stay looking like Logic and not garageband (duh, and don't cite FCP/FCPX/iMovie as a comparable example) and lastly Waveburner will be killed and the functionality "folded into" Logic, which is nice to know (*if* all the functionality makes it across, which is possibly unlikely) but logical as Apple are killing the "underwhelming" apps in the Sudio bundles in the main - too much hassle to deal with, and not compelling enough to offer for sale on the App Store and keep supporting.

(Apple are pretty intent on killing optical media in their lineup, and as they phase it out of their hardware, they will phase out the software that makes it too. DVD Studio Pro is dead too.)

It's not really much info is it, anyone familiar with Apple's pro apps, corporate direction, and FCP and Logic can guess basically all those details...

So... meh.

But thanks for the link though - it's nice to see the Apple community at large still noticing Logic exists...

Note: I'm genuinely looking forward to the next version, which should be fairly soon imo - with the removal of the Studio bundle, hopefully Logic will have more new workflow and interface features that will genuinely take it forward instead of loop and instrument content and other *fluffy* stuff.

Please god let them have done a plugin re-organisation feature and let me organise my plugin menus how I want... please please please guys... it's getting desperate here... (well, almost!) :)

I'd really like some options to add color in the Hyper Editor, like a different color for each data lane.

Having an input gain knob/slider and a phase switch "built" into each channel strip without having to insert a plug-in would be much appreciated.

There's many more like offering more bass amps, melodyne/autotune like pitch correction, slip and slide audio editing functions, more options to colorize the GUI etc, that I wont bother to mention. :wink:

As long as we're speculating, Soundtrack Pro has some excellent features that would be great to see incorporated into Logic.

At one point it occurred to me that the audio editing functions available in STP combined with Logic's MIDI (including software instruments) would make an excellent DAW.

Actually, I think Logic is an excellent DAW as is.. :wink:

But, some STP features would be great. and indeed make it better.

@Steve - looks like it takes a good rumor to bring you out of the woodwork? Hope you're well.

AES = Abundant Examples of Speculation??

I can't help but speculate that with the pattern of FInal Cut Pro X set, that Logic will be discontinued & all work will focus on bringing GarageBand X up to "Prosumer" standard.

That makes no sense whatsoever* (see note below).

Final Cut Pro 7 was in a *very* different place to Logic - it was a completely old, 32-bit Carbon framework with very old legacy code based on old versions of Quicktime which were also 32-bit - they didn't really have much choice but to re-architect it from scratch, and reinvent it to move forward.

It actually has massive potential, but the FCP team simply haven't had a chance to include all the features that many people need, hence all the complaining. It's also changed legacy workflows that people have relied upon for years, which people don't like until they see the benefits in working a better way. It will get there.

Logic went through it's Carbon -> Cocoa, 32-bit to 64-bit, rework the interface stage already, was the first Apple pro app to go 64-bit, and is in many ways a quite modern framework, apart from the old crusty Logic bits which haven't really been touched for a long time (eg environment, sample editor and audio DSP stuff etc etc).

There is no *need* to re-archictect Logic from scratch, or completely change it. The comment in that rumour from an unknown source seemed to be saying "Relax you worriers, we haven't done the same thing to Logic that the FCP users were up in arms about".

As ever, we wait and see, and hope for the best...

* Note: Yes, Apple seem to be not that bothered catering for the "real" Pro market (too much headache for too little return most likely), and instead seem to want to push to the wider, eh, "aspirational pro" market for their pro apps. However, their approach seems to be to have an entry-level, consumer iLife app, and a more powerful advanced version (iPhoto -> Aperture, iMovie -> FCPX, GB -> Logic etc).

There is no need to make Logic into Garageband, as GB already serves that function. There *has been* a need to rework areas of Logic which were difficult for new users to grok, and Apple have been reworking the interface from 7->8->9 to cater for these users and to move it more in line with what someone might expect when transitioning from GB to Logic, and have mostly done a decent job imo - albeit with some niggles for long time power users when they take stuff away. Such is life... development of your tools is always beyond your control, and sooner or later you are not going to like some decisions made along the way.

…apart from the old crusty Logic bits which haven't really been touched for a long time (eg environment, sample editor and audio DSP stuff etc etc).

I like the environment the way it is & hope that it doesn't change, it's got a bit of a Reaktor feel to it & I like that. Or perhaps it's that Reaktor has a feel of the Logic environment to it, either way I like it just the way it is.

If they are doing what they did to Final Cut, they are going to drop the ball on the professional user base. Many post production/editing facilities are fleeing from Final Cut now that Apple has shown they are going to turn to the hobbyists. I am sure they are rejoicing in the AVID camp.

I hope that's not what they'll do to Logic but it wouldn't surprise me.

But people overreacted.

Sure. Apple changed its focus.

The small amount of professional users and niches are not more important than general consumer and hobbyists.

Apple now make the majority of its profit and fortune (well deserved) with iPhones, iPads, iPods, MacBook Airs etc.

Not Mac Pros and "pro" apps.

Of course there are some important features left out of FCPX (some of them already announced for future updates by Apple) .

But Apple at least is trying to create - from scratch - a new app and a new paradigm in non-linear video editing.

There are some nice stuff in there.

And people who is using FCP7 can still do it.

It didn't disappear from their hard driver overnight.

FC Studio is even being sold again due to all the crying.

It was a bit a collective hysteria.

If they are doing what they did to Final Cut, they are going to drop the ball on the professional user base. Many post production/editing facilities are fleeing from Final Cut now that Apple has shown they are going to turn to the hobbyists. I am sure they are rejoicing in the AVID camp.

I hope that's not what they'll do to Logic but it wouldn't surprise me.

The rumor says . . . . . .

according to a report by Japanese blog Macotakara, Apple's Logic team is making great efforts to stress that it will not shift toward a GarageBand interface, heading off fears that Logic Pro might lose its professional edge"

re. FCP X @DaniGordon said "It was a bit a collective hysteria."

If Logic X comes out with no way to open any project you ever created on any previous version of Logic (which is the case with FCP X), get back to me on the hysteria thing.

My sense is that some lessons were learned at Apple. Hopefully, they see the music creation market differently than they do video. I'm hoping for an upgrade that speaks to both pros and less hardcore users.

The small amount of professional users and niches are not more important than general consumer and hobbyists.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Unfortunately, Apple indeed seem to clearly demonstrate this in their actions, but not in their words.

And yes, the FCPX was hysteria, but not without some foundation. Apple really mishandled the launch - they probably should have launched it as an early take on where FCP is going, and kept FCP7 on the shelves for the next year or so, while FCPX matured, and people learned it and the feature set had caught up to parity to FCP7.

re. FCP X @DaniGordon said "It was a bit a collective hysteria."

If Logic X comes out with no way to open any project you ever created on any previous version of Logic (which is the case with FCP X), get back to me on the hysteria thing.

If that happened, I would keep my existing Logic for old projects, and start to work with the new one to see what benefits it brought, until it made sense or not to switch. That's the sensible thing to do.

Note - current versions of Logic cannot open Logic 1-4 files at all, and struggles with a good percentage of 5-6 projects (ie many it won't load at all, some it will). You have to keep old versions for back compatibility already.

Having said that, projects should really be archived in a non-proprietary format anyway, as projects relying on hundreds of third-party software in varying versions will give problems to open one day. By all means save the projects and assets etc as they are, but it's also a good idea to render everything to audio, with and without FX, and midifiles etc for the rest of the data, so you can always open it and work with it on any computer system, with any software.

I know.

But why do one wanna change platform and use a new version of any program in the middle of a paying work?

;)

As I said. Your Final Cut Pro 7 rig wasn't stolen from you neither from your hard drive.

Keep using it on your current projects.

Even open the old projects with FC7 years from now.

Just don't loose your HDs.

And if you feel the desire to try the new FCPX on a new material, do it.

If you don't like it. Keep using FC7 or even go to another software.

You don't need to be loyal to any software or brand.

Use what's best for your professional needs and skills.

If FCPX is not "pro" enough for you, get upset, ok, but move on.

It's even better to demonstrate your feelings and to "hurt" Apple.

But I'm sure also that a lot of people (new and old users and in a "pro" level or not) will benefit using FCPX in many ways.

Cheaper, easier, faster, etc.

"If Logic X comes out with no way to open any project you ever created on any previous version of Logic (which is the case with FCP X), get back to me on the hysteria thing. "

/quote]

Edited by DaniGordon