(the) Logic Pro X Rumours Thread

Darude

• 2 weeks later...
Seems like the next big upgrade is just around the corner, so it might be a good idea to wait. But then again, I just ordered a new iMac and I need to run Logic on it and I only have LP8. As far as I understand there is no official support for LP8 on Lion, so I guess therefore I'm forced to upgrade to LP9 anyway. What would you guys do in this situation?

AFAIK, there's no support for Logic 8 at all now that Logic 9 is the current version. I'm not even sure that there's any such thing as Logic 9 support. For example, let's say you discover a bug and you can confirm it. At that point, all you can do is report it via the Apple/Logic feedback page, or, if you're signed up as an ADC developer you can submit a bug report on the ADC bugreporter page. But even if you did either of those things, there's no guarantee that the problem will be fixed. Bug if it does get fixed, there's no telling what version of Logic it will appear in.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's really no such thing as "support" for Logic at all, other than Apple providing a few ways to tell them about problems. And it's a one-way street; rarely does Apple write to someone who's submitted a bug report and ask for follow-up information. And when it comes to updates, they never let the general public know in advance about them.

The only kind of support you are entitled to is phone support when you buy a product. So I guess if you have a problem installing or using the software they can help you with that to a limited extent. And to be honest, you'd be much better off posting your questions here, as the chances of you getting an expert answer are much greater than if you called Apple for their help.

If you've bought a new iMac then it's likely going to ship with Lion. So the question really is this: can Logic 8 run on Lion?

So the question really is this: can Logic 8 run on Lion?

Not officially supported, but apparently it'll work.

Lion and Logic Express 8 [sOLVED]

Express & Pro

Oh yeah, I heard of that trick. I wonder if it is possible to install LP8 on Lion clean from the CD's.

On the other hand, there's so much features in LP9 that I would miss even if I did get LP8 to work. Especially 64 bit support. It's frustrating to not know if the next big update will be released next week, next month or next year.

David, you're an inspiration! So I went a-searchin' and found this group hug emoticonhttp://www.myemoticons.com/emoticon-critic/hug-and-kiss/images/yellow_smiley_hug.gif I dunno, maybe it goes a bit overboard, but the sentiment is there. I guess?

:mrgreen:

So why don't you get Logic 9?

Because of the rumours about LPX coming soon. :?

Aside from the fact that Logic X is discontinued... ;)

Um, do you know anything about Logic X? Like, will it be better than Logic 9? Or maybe totally different? And did you know that usually, whenever the first major revision of a piece of software is released that it's usually pretty darn buggy? Yup, it's true. True of Logic, operating systems, pretty much just about any software at all is never beta tested thoroughly enough before it hits the streets. So... I dunno, I'm just curious as to why you'd want to wait for Logic X when you know nothing about it, don't know when it's going to be released, and on top of all that you can anticipate that it's going to be buggy. Meanwhile, Logic 9 is sitting there waiting for you to start making music with it! As they say, "don't postpone joy".

:mrgreen: <--- an indication of the joy you can have with Logic 9.

So why don't you get Logic 9?

Because of the rumours about LPX coming soon. :?

Aside from the fact that Logic X is discontinued... ;)

Um, do you know anything about Logic X? Like, will it be better than Logic 9? Or maybe totally different? And did you know that usually, whenever the first major revision of a piece of software is released that it's usually pretty darn buggy? Yup, it's true. True of Logic, operating systems, pretty much just about any software at all is never beta tested thoroughly enough before it hits the streets. So... I dunno, I'm just curious as to why you'd want to wait for Logic X when you know nothing about it, don't know when it's going to be released, and on top of all that you can anticipate that it's going to be buggy. Meanwhile, Logic 9 is sitting there waiting for you to start making music with it! As they say, "don't postpone joy".

:mrgreen: <--- an indication of the joy you can have with Logic 9.

The last two major upgrades were good so that raises my expectations. But you're absolutely right about how the final beta-testing is often left for end users. My iMac should deliver within a week and I need to have a new version of Logic by then, so it looks like I'm ending up with 9 this time.

Which reminds me, can I buy the 8 to 9 upgrade from anywhere else but Apple Store? Like.. from App Store? Or from resellers?

If I've been able to sway you to go for Logic 9 now then I feel good. I visited Helsinki in the winter of 1996 and had a wonderful time there, so this is my way of giving back. :D

Which reminds me, can I buy the 8 to 9 upgrade from anywhere else but Apple Store? Like.. from App Store? Or from resellers?

I think the quickest way to find out would be to call the Apple store in your area and ask. And of course, if you can get the 8-->9 upgrade you'll save some cash.

The release of Final Cut Pro 10.01 today seems to indicate some very compelling reasons to look forward to Logic X..... Patience..... Where's that Zen coffee when you really need it. :)

And let me thank the FCP community for taking all the pain of a new release strategy. :)

Maybe it's because we are collectively better looking than they are that we've been spared.

Is there an emoticon for "collectively better looking than them"?

The release of Final Cut Pro 10.01 today seems to indicate some very compelling reasons to look forward to Logic X..... Patience..... Where's that Zen coffee when you really need it. :)

And let me thank the FCP community for taking all the pain of a new release strategy. :)

Maybe it's because we are collectively better looking than they are that we've been spared.

Is there an emoticon for "collectively better looking than them"?

There's a trial now for it too. I downloaded it, mostly out of curiosity. In the time since my HD crashed, I lost my copy of FCS 2, and given the situation having to do a video for an uncle's funeral, I opted to use the Adobe Premiere trial, and took kindly to it. But I am still curious to see how Apple's changed things with FCP X.

Besides that, let's hope that any errors—and fixes—Apple has had to deal with through this whole debacle, they learn from when releasing the new Logic (and again, I doubt we should expect such drastic changes here, but still).

More like we will be skiing in hell, because it will practically freeze over if they ever release a new Logic.

Neither is gonna happen. Hell ain't gonna freeze over anytime soon, and there won't be any new versions of Logic. Really, let's get serious. Logic is perfect the way it is now. Why would we need a new version?

"shivermetimbers"More like we will be skiing in hell, because it will practically freeze over if they ever release a new Logic.

Neither is gonna happen. Hell ain't gonna freeze over anytime soon, and there won't be any new versions of Logic. Really, let's get serious. Logic is perfect the way it is now. Why would we need a new version?

Well just in case ... this is for next week :shock: errrr I mean if ever a New Logic comes out.

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/02/02/10162003HellFrozeOver2.jpg

Why would we need a new version?

Because a new version might come with a new plug-in or two, like the "Who's You're D-D-D-Daddy?" stutter editor, and the "Phartmatik" bass flatulizer.

Oh, and hell is freezing over. It's part of the whole global warming thing.