(the) Logic Pro X Rumours Thread

Darude

maybe instead of basic/advanced maybe he's talking about simple/complex.

Yes...

'Pro' doesn't aways mean advanced - at least not as in 'one who understands and have good overview all the parts of a professional piece of software'. :-) The many questions, on internet forums, about score, Transform, Flex, Flex/Beat Mapping used together etc from Logic Pro users somehow illustrates that.

Having said that: A much better solution than 'complex' or 'advanced' modes would be to make the most complex areas in Logic even simpler and add (long enough!) excerpts from the manual throughout the program; excerpts which can be activcated with a special click in the relevant section.

Some of the questions about the most complex features aren't asked because the feature isn't implemented ina user-friendly enough way, but because some processes actually are quite complex (eg. the use of Flex and Beatmapping on the same track).

An example of the opposite would be polyphonic mode in Score - a brilliant feature, but one which also is needed just to remove some automatic rests or to achieve other stuff which could be done without 'polyphonizing' a MIDI region. There's no automatic link is professional score users' brains telling them that if they want to edit how some rests appear in their piece, they need to activate Polyphonic mode for that region. If there's one thing Apple is quite good at, it is to make complex things simple, and I hope this will keep happening in Logic as well.

I'm not suggesting any 'dumbing down' process, Ski! :-) On the contrary, I want more advanced features in Logic. But - and this is important - when I'm in the midst of an inspired moment (it still happens!) :-) , I don't want to get out of that flow because I have to look up some terms that I don't understand - or because something is implemented in a too complex way. Of course labeling a feature as 'complex' or 'advanced' won't help me in such a situation, but this could help a Logic novice to avoid areas where he easily can get lost.

One part of Logic's 'complexity' is based on the fact that Logic has so many features that it sometimes it's hard, epecially for newbies, to remember where they are or what they are called. So - maybe a more important improvement than a menu for the most advanced stuff could be th addition of a new menu, where all your recently used menu options (from any other menu) are listed?

I do find it rather depressing that many casual users, as evidenced by having around on internet forums, don't want to use Garageband and instead want to use the "professional" big brother tool of Logic, because it's cooler, and the producers they look up to use it...

...and then they get it, and find it hard and requires effort to learn (like all deep tools). And rather than thinking, "Hmm, maybe Logic is not the right tool for me, I'll go back to Garageband", they complain that Logic should be made simpler to understand, more "intuitive", less complex etc etc.

Guess what folks - ProTools isn't simple. Neither is Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere, Media Composer, Maya, Shake, Nuke, Flame, 3D Studio and all the other professional software tools out there.

The key is to learn, not to claim the tool is too difficult and should be simpler.

Learning is good. Getting better is good.

I'm not saying new users should use the program - but they should have the right attitude to using it, and quite a few people demonstrate the opposite...

"Professional" doesn't have to mean needlessly hard. But it's rarely brain-dead simple.

I do find it rather depressing that many casual users, as evidenced by having around blah, blah, blah ...

I'm not saying new users should use the program - but they should have the right attitude to using it, and quite a few people demonstrate the opposite...

"Professional" doesn't have to mean needlessly hard. But it's rarely brain-dead simple.

Like reading the kama sutra, if it ain't hard, it ain't worth the trouble.

I do find it rather depressing that many casual users, as evidenced by having around on internet forums, don't want to use Garageband and instead want to use the "professional" big brother tool of Logic, because it's cooler, and the producers they look up to use it...

I also have some sympathy with them though, because they don't know any better and there's quite a bit of snobbishness about GB. It's understandable they'd want the best tool for the job, but either don't actually know what tool they require, or figure they'll "grow into" a pro app.

Lots of bedroom dance-music producers would be better off spending their money on quality construction kits or loops to use in GB.

Though it's true that it can be frustrating trying to help people who expect instant gratification from Logic.

...and then they get it, and find it hard and requires effort to learn (like all deep tools). And rather than thinking, "Hmm, maybe Logic is not the right tool for me, I'll go back to Garageband", they complain that Logic should be made simpler to understand, more "intuitive", less complex etc etc.

Guess what folks - ProTools isn't simple. Neither is Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere, Media Composer, Maya, Shake, Nuke, Flame, 3D Studio and all the other professional software tools out there.

The key is to learn, not to claim the tool is too difficult and should be simpler.

So true.

Great post.

I don't think any company announces details about all their bugfixes/optimizations...

Advanced mode... Hey, we're running Logic, not Logic Express, right? So why would anyone need an "advanced mode" in Logic Pro? Any kind of "advanced mode" would represent a true dumbing down of what is a professional grade program and if you think Logic is too advanced for you, you have choices... Buy Logic Express and get your feet wet with that for a while. By running Express you won't be losing out on how to run Logic Pro except that some features aren't available.

Ski

I think you miss understood, Advanced Mode would be Logic as it is you know

Well, thanks for clarifying what your idea is all about. Still, if I saw the features I'm used to using now suddenly labeled as "advanced", or I had to hit some kind of button (even just one) to access the "advanced" stuff I'd immediately break out in hives. Big ugly ones, and I'd post pictures of them here and gross everyone out. So be careful what you wish for, because there will be consequences.

:mrgreen:

• 2 months later...

Seems like all the buzz has died about Logic 10. No new rumors lately?

Usually it's about this time when they release it. It's like they wait until everybody stops caring. They've had it ready to release since November probably, but they just want to wait until everyone loses all hope and then BAM

There's some new rumors around the internet that someone pulled from a Japanese site about Logic X.

(anyway, . . that "Power-Tools-for-Logic-Pro-10-Dot-Bustelo" book site (they took the title down) says 27 days to go for the book, so who knows?) :?

Looks like that thread has been deleted.

Real nice of Apple not to even let people view a forum without signing in. Oh well, I left that place for good reason years ago and this is just more reason to stay away. Oh, sorry, was I ranting again? Damn, I must do something about that :lol:

It's still there, just need authorization...

Obviously authorization is not for everyone... But by feeding Google with parts of the sentence you cited within quotes and the keyword "site:apple.com" I got the rest of the sentence: "... new features in Logic Pro X. First off the software will not be officially released to the public until the new OSX Mountain Lion hits the market."

Okay, call me nuts but after some fiddling with google search I think I may have found out that it might be released in May 2012. 8)

Here's what I did, so you can double check it:

Search google with these words and set the time range to "this week":

logic First off the software will not be officially released to the public until may

You can change the word "May" to april or any other month and it won't list the Logic result, only one that works is "May"

:lol:

Oh and of course while being in the "Nerd" mode I've also tried the days of the month, but no luck, so I guess they didn't mention that it in the thread....

Edited by raffi

Damn, it was getting exciting, but here's the full post, courtesy of google caching:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https%3A%2F%2Fdiscussions.apple.com%2Fthread%2F3756233%3Fstart%3D0%26tstart%3D0&ei=3gJGT9DQAvCfiAfVivSVDg&usg=AFQjCNHn6zggzF_9WQnnhC7dERdOzS71bw

-------------------------------

elektriksol Nashville, TN

Feb 22, 2012 1:32 PM

This discussion is to inform current Logic users on the upcoming new features in Logic Pro X. First off the software will not be officially released to the public until the new OSX Mountain Lion hits the market. Second the software will be none of what you expect it to be and everything you didn't expect and never knew you wanted in a D.A.W. Let's start with the basics. The GUI will see a drastic overhaul making Logic's workflow more modern and efficient. I can't go in to specific details about the design features but you will love the new upgrades. The first thing you will notice in the edit view is the new media browser, which has touch gesture, capabilities built in so now you can scroll through various screens of content by swiping left to right and up and down to select content. The mixer is designed to WOW! it has a shock factor that will blow your mind. First off it makes use of sonic modeling, yes that's right just as reason modeled their mixer after the SSL, Logic has modeled their mixer after the__________? I won't spoil it for you but OMG! does that thing sound and look amazing. It has a built in EQ & Dynamics section in every audio channel, Midi & Instruments tracks can be routed to audio channels to utilize the EQ & Dynamics. The master section is AWESOME as well. New Instruments & Effects finally and if the other features did not catch your attention these will. Piano's sound unbelievably realistic, the design team spared no expense in making IMO, the best sounding virtual pianos thus far they take advantage of a new technology called Hyper-Realism it captures every subtle nuance of the Acoustic Piano faithfully. They also have physical models of Pianos that are breathtaking as well they don't require as much CPU as the large boutique sample piano's but nonetheless are right on par with them. The electric pianos sound incredible as well Hyper-Realism, and Physical model technology. Composers will love the orchestral libraries which are moderately extensive instrument, articulation and expression wise but the sound is right up there with VSL and I should mention that the notation component to logic is far more professional and has seen a upgrade as well. Logic now has only two main synths that are capable of producing just about any kind of sound you can possibly imagine, again I can't get into specific details but they are packed full of quality presets and crazy tweak parameters. DRUMS & DRUMS of DRUMS the percussion section will make you **** all over yourself first off there are two components to the percussion section a GUI that represents a physical drum kit with independent tracks for each drum by default and second is a groove machine that is beyond sick. The Physical drum kits have various different layers of drum sounds and articulations which provide a very realistic feel to sequenced drums so much so unless you knew other wise you would have never suspected they came from Virtual Instrument. The groove box at first glance has 16 pads which you can drag and drop samples directly from the browser and edit them from the groove box interface each pad has standalone pitch and time stretch properties and much more. The alternate view is of a step sequencer that you can sequence using the step method by point and click. The EFX have seen a major upgrade as well some EFX plugins you will notice right away and some will be your new favorites. I think this new D.A.W. wins on features alone. Logic Pro X is the new revolution in D.A.W. technology. Of course there are lots and lots of new and interesting features I didn't get to mention but this definitely gives you an idea of some of the coolest stuff going in to the new Logic Pro X. What are your opinons on some of the changes listed?

Edited by furrytoes