Trackpad v Trackball. Recommendations please?

From personal experience, trackballs were never very comfortable for me to use.

They always hurt my wrists.

I like the concept of trackpads, and I even tried it for a bit.

I seem to float back to the mouse over and over again.

What I'd really love is a retinal to screen interface that could understand my vocal commands.

Silly I know, but I HTH.

P

Hey thanks. I appreciate your opinion irrespective of how long you've been around.

I had been leaning towards the trackpad myself, but have never tried a trackball. Most 'big studio' vids seem to have a trackball by the desk, so it made me wonder.

Trackpads as capable as they are now are really a more modern development, I think. I mean, they've been around for a while, but adding multi-touch and surface spaces as large as the Magic Trackpad are new, at least as far as I know. So I doubt if many larger studios will have trackpads yet, as their desks are probably not as new (sidebar: ARE there any large desks that have them yet?).

Though I think the reasoning for those desks having a trackball is the same as me opting for a trackpad: no need for space dedicated to moving a mouse around, and why use your whole arm to do something your fingers alone can manage?

I use a Kensington Trackball and really like it. The main reason I like it is that it navigates easily. By that I mean that I the circular wheel around the ball to scroll up/down and left/right (by setting one button to switch between up vs left), it's very quick to scrol around. And I use the ball whenever I want to move stuff around. I have the other 3 buttons setup to be a double click, click and hold, and something else. But it's very configurable. You need to look at what the trackball can do that the trackpad can't.

Can the track pad scroll up/down AND left/right? If so, it might win here, but the trackball is way better than the mouse at least the Kensington is.

I use a Kensington Trackball and really like it. The main reason I like it is that it navigates easily. By that I mean that I the circular wheel around the ball to scroll up/down and left/right (by setting one button to switch between up vs left), it's very quick to scrol around. And I use the ball whenever I want to move stuff around. I have the other 3 buttons setup to be a double click, click and hold, and something else. But it's very configurable. You need to look at what the trackball can do that the trackpad can't.

Can the track pad scroll up/down AND left/right? If so, it might win here, but the trackball is way better than the mouse at least the Kensington is.

As far as an Apple Magic Trackpad goes, yes it can. The key, again, is (smart) use of multi-touch gestures, which trackballs inherently can't offer.

i had a wireless mouse with my macbook, but abandoned it some time ago, as the trackpad could do so much more.

several years back, had a trackball, but just didn't feel right.

the trackpad on the macbook: priceless.

gestures RULE, and i expect to see more of them (there are already shareware apps that let you do more)

• 3 weeks later...

I think I need to point out that trackpads suck at click and drag. Many drum machines, sequencers even softsynths utilize click + drag. Trying it on the trackpad doesn't work well and is time consuming if you are not smashing the track pad down.

I was thinking about getting a portable trackpad, but the more I use my programs, the more I see it is a hinderance.

I was using my Macbook Pro's trackpad and not even the right click on the bottom left corner was working well.

I think I need to point out that trackpads suck at click and drag. Many drum machines, sequencers even softsynths utilize click + drag. Trying it on the trackpad doesn't work well and is time consuming if you are not smashing the track pad down.

I was thinking about getting a portable trackpad, but the more I use my programs, the more I see it is a hinderance.

I was using my Macbook Pro's trackpad and not even the right click on the bottom left corner was working well.

sounds like your trackpad may need fixing? i have no such problems here, click and drag is extremely simple...

As is usually the case, how easy or not you find something to use is often down to personal technique.

For example, if drag n dropping something is tricky with my TrackPad I'll use my thumb to keep it anchored down while I use another finger to drag. Using two hands helps too.

Perhaps because I have always done things with my fingers all my life I may be quite skilled at touch and gestures. It ceratinly feels much more fluid and realxing than any mouse. I'm told I have good hands but perhaps I should say no more!

The trick is to go into it with a positive attitude and liking it. Apple's Magic TrackPad is far superior to the pads on laptops.

sounds like your trackpad may need fixing? i have no such problems here, click and drag is extremely simple...

So I found out the issue. When I use it inside Logic it works. But I was refering to FXpansion Geist. Apparently it doesn't work to tap/click and drag a event. Geist already utilizes the click and drag up/down as moving the velocity up or down, which I like. But this doesn't allow to select and drag the event. I'm going to have to check with some Geist users since this seems to only be in Geist. Of course I can click on the 'Select' tool in Geist to do this easily, but I want to find a more streamlined way.

[EDIT] *** I figured it out. Have to hold shift or CMD + shift (for multi selection) and THEN double click. I was missing that. It pays to learn/read up on something more beforehand ;-P It was helpful to see if was working for you guys though so I knew to investigate further.

But...... one thing I don't like on the Trackpad is that you actually have to click (press down) to right click on the bottom right of the trackpad. Not sure why a tap in the bottom right doesn't function as a right click.

So I found out the issue. When I use it inside Logic it works. But I was refering to FXpansion Geist. Apparently it doesn't work to tap/click and drag a event. Geist already utilizes the click and drag up/down as moving the velocity up or down, which I like. But this doesn't allow to select and drag the event. I'm going to have to check with some Geist users since this seems to only be in Geist. Of course I can click on the 'Select' tool in Geist to do this easily, but I want to find a more streamlined way.

[EDIT] *** I figured it out. Have to hold shift or CMD + shift (for multi selection) and THEN double click. I was missing that. It pays to learn/read up on something more beforehand ;-P It was helpful to see if was working for you guys though so I knew to investigate further.

But...... one thing I don't like on the Trackpad is that you actually have to click (press down) to right click on the bottom right of the trackpad. Not sure why a tap in the bottom right doesn't function as a right click.

Interesting—in Snow Leopard, it seems you can activate "Tap to Click", and you can activate "Secondary Click (Bottom Right Corner)", but tapping in the bottom right corner ≠ secondary click. I assume it's the same in Leopard. Wonder why Apple would leave that out…? :?

...or use ctrl + left tap or two finger tap (select in preferences) to achieve the same thing.... (I don't think this is a Lion only function?)

Ok, wow, this has been a good learning session. So I didn't realize that tap and click are different. Because I thought when you allow the trackpad to have the tap function as a click, they would be the same duplicate function. But on the trackpad apparently you can do more and seperate this.

So now I got it. I can indeed use tap with 2 fingers or ctrl tap to 'secondary tap ( which I was calling click)'. Didn't know Secondary Tap and Secondary Click were two different things.

I guess I'm not a fan of the Secondary click (in the bottom right or left corner, however you customize it). I would like that to be accessed with a left bottom corner tap.

Ok, wow, this has been a good learning session. So I didn't realize that tap and click are different. Because I thought when you allow the trackpad to have the tap function as a click, they would be the same duplicate function. But on the trackpad apparently you can do more and seperate this.

So now I got it. I can indeed use tap with 2 fingers or ctrl tap to 'secondary tap ( which I was calling click)'. Didn't know Secondary Tap and Secondary Click were two different things.

I guess I'm not a fan of the Secondary click (in the bottom right or left corner, however you customize it). I would like that to be accessed with a left bottom corner tap.

.... x 2

I didn't realise this either.

I also don't understand when I would use a 2-finger tap - To typically action what?

I'd suggest just trying to get used to the secondary tap with two fingers. Really, it's one of those things that, once you get the hang of it, you don't even think about anymore. Just like some people have said about Lion's "natural scrolling," it just takes some patience to get used to the concept.

(Personally, I have tapping disabled on my MacBook Pro, as my fingers have a tendency to brush across the trackpad, and all kinds of mayhem have ensued from accidental taps. Plus a bonus, people tend to freak out when they try using my laptop (not expecting to have to click a button in the same place where you move your cursor, because to them, that'd be like des Prez writing something using nothing but tritones), and it's hilarious. :lol: )