MIDI controller recommendation

Hey people...what are your favorite MIDI controller keyboards these days? I've never actually used one....For he last several years, I've just used a Roland Fantom as a controller. Now I'm setting up an auxillary studio and rather than duplicate the keyboards I already have, I figured I'd just get a controller and use software synths in the new studio. I thinking maybe 49 keys. Curious what everyone's favorites are.

I've spent the last week researching exactly this question.

Obviously there's an element of horses for courses and what your individual needs are, especially if you are primarily a keyboard musician (which I'm not).

My conclusion is one which I think is waaay better than any of the others. Ladies and Gentleman, I present the Novation SL MkII:

http://www.novationmusic.com/products/midi_controllers/sl_mkii/

I should have my 25-key by this time next week :). Automap is the deal-maker for me.

There's loads of vids online to help you see how various controllers work and help your buying decision.

:D

I've had the SLMKII for over a year now. I love the feel of the keys.

The 2 complaints I have about the unit is that the faders have a real short throw, and the drum pads are not so good.

Automap can be squidgy to set up, but after you work out the kinks, it's a charm. There are many resources on the Novation website to help in the operation of Automap.

Novation's You Tube channel has some nice videos on the use of Automap as well.

Now that being said, I'm getting tired of 61 keys.

I come from a piano background, so my next purchase is going to be an 88 key weighted controller.

I need the space to compose!

I will still keep the 61 key to play extra parts and whatnot.

I've had the SLMKII for over a year now. I love the feel of the keys.

The 2 complaints I have about the unit is that the faders have a real short throw, and the drum pads are not so good.

Automap can be squidgy to set up, but after you work out the kinks, it's a charm. There are many resources on the Novation website to help in the operation of Automap.

Novation's You Tube channel has some nice videos on the use of Automap as well.

....That's good to hear :)

I've noticed that the faders have a short throw (they are longer on the keyless Zero SL MkII) but I expect to get used to it. Personally I will probably use the drum pads as qwerty keyboard shortcuts rather than beats.

I think I have now seen every video on the hyperinterwebbynet which exists on the SL MkII :lol:

Christmas is coming early for me.

:)

The website for the SL MK2 states that it only runs in 32-bit mode in recent OSXs.

Is this a problem for anyone?

link:

http://www.novationmusic.com/products/midi_controllers/sl_mkii/os_compatibility/

....When I spoke to them on the phone recently (in the UK) they said they were working on it being 64-bit and Lion compatible. It'll be an Automap free update as I understand it.

Check this page: http://www.novationmusic.com/answerbase/en/article.php?id=693

anyone try the m audio pro?

I have also been looking at the impulse but it

is not yet available for purchase

I have an M-Audio Axiom Pro, I'm real happy with it. I love the layout of the buttons, pads, wheels and keys (I have the 61 key model). I like the feel of the keyboard (I'm not a trainer keyboard player by any stretch of the imagination). I never use the Hyper control feature as I prefer to map my controls manually as needed.