Best controler for Logic that is cost effective and controls

Hi I am looking for a logic controler where I can have access to all of the knobs within a plugin without spending thousdands of doallars, what controler do you guys thing is probably one of the best ones out there that is cost effective where it auto maps all of the plugin nobs to your controler surfance or control surface keyboard

I suggest the Novation SL MkII which ships with Automap.

If you want a keyboard bed then there's the 25 etc or the Zero without.

Excellent Zero review:

SL MkII 25 Logic controller overview:

I've researched such a Logic controller for some time and am picking up my SL MkII 25 later today/tomorrow.

:D

Edited by Red Robin

depends what you want/need. :)

Exactly. Have you actually spent time with both keyboards? Personally I don't like the feel of the Novation keys. And I can't figure out how you're supposed to use the joystick for mod wheel and pitch bend. That's just... not for me! :wink: Drum pads are also better on the Axiom (IMO that is).

....I haven't spent time with these two exact products but I have owned both M-Audio and Novation keybed controllers and prefer the feel and build quality of the Novation - It is only a personal preference though.

I'm not a piano player so the keys aren't so critical - I nearly bought the Zero but the keys are useful for activating simple stuff and I can even allocate whole chords to one key. Also I'm unlikely to use the drum pads other than to allocate as Mac's Logic keyboard shortcuts.

I understand that Novation's Automap has been updated since the vid I posted and now includes 'internal' control?

Of course the other aspect is that once you become familiar and fluid with a product you love it more. It's why I still have the same car.

I'm not a piano player either... well... I have an upright here in the studio... and I play it once in a while.. but I wouldn't call myself a piano player. Still I prefer the weighted keys of the Axiom - for most things.

I agree with you about the choice being personal. I can't stand any keyboard that has the mod wheel and pitch bend wheel behind the keys (like the AKAI for example).

And you're right, one can get used to just about anything, given time and practice.

I wouldn't mind the little touchpad though (like on the Novation). Oh well. Can't have everything.

As for automapping, I personally don't use it. Never liked it on the Novation, never liked it on the Axiom. But once again - personal choice! :D

Yep, there's no right or wrong with personal choice over things mechanical (rather than human). For me, Automap is the deal maker - I have found it difficult to get on with my Alphatrack's navigation and very plasticky buttons (therefore being sold).

It's so easy to buy gear isn't it! The trick is to buy what suits you best but sometimes you have to buy what doesn't suit in order to find out what does suit you.

My co-producer and good friend whose proper studio we use when I need, is classically trained on piano and has 40 years experience from world stadium to local pub, so I don't even venture to play any piano! He can play absolutely any style - Awesome! Plus I don't know Western music theory and I ain't gonna start learning that at this time in my life.

@ logicproguy:

It'll be interesting to hear what you do buy and how you like it.

:)

depends what you want/need. :)

Exactly. Have you actually spent time with both keyboards? Personally I don't like the feel of the Novation keys. And I can't figure out how you're supposed to use the joystick for mod wheel and pitch bend. That's just... not for me! :wink: Drum pads are also better on the Axiom (IMO that is).

I have spent a lot of time with both and I am of a different opinion.

The keybed on the Novation SL-series is outstanding for a semi-weighted keyboard. The Axiom bed feels too light and has a gluey feeling to it.

I find it very hard to get an expressive take using the Axiom.

Joystick or Pitch/Mod Wheel is a very personal thing and I happen to like both. (I really like the Roland A-70 that has both :D )

http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/images/products/main/a_70_top_main.jpg

The drum pads are definitely better on the Axiom. That doesn't mean that the M-Audio pads are good but the Novation ones are to small and very difficult to use sensitively. I would look at the AKAI keyboards if you need better drum pads.

This is just my very personal taste and view, I think that the best thing is to try them out to see which one suites your hands and needs.

When folks use words such as "cost effective" and "not thousands of dollars" I think they mean gear which works well and which only costs a few hundred dollars maximum.

Fundamental to logicproguy's choice will be whether he needs/wants a playable keybed or not and if so, how many keys.

Other options might be via the iPad but I don't know how all that is developing. Touch screen doesn't have a feel which appeals to me - It feels different from the Magic Trackpad which I like a lot.

Edited by Red Robin

When shopping for a MIDI controller, the best option is to actually demo the ones that you are interested in at your local music retailer. I always appreciate the great advice that's offered here, but personally, I wouldn't pay money for something as important as a quality controller unless I knew for sure that I would be comfortable with the feel of the keys and rotaries, drum pads, sliders, etc.

- xpander

Well, I picked up my Novation 25 SL MkII yesterday and my first impressions are that I'm blown away by the build quality and, very importantly to me, the feel of all the controls. Obviously I now have quite a steep learning curve even with Automap. The first thing which has disappointed me so far is that I can't Solo and Loop together via staying in Automap.

My music retailer's techie updated the firmware for me and sorted out a Boss footswitch via the Sustain port so that it simultaneously Arms and Records. He has worked with many controllers and Novations over the years and commented that Novation's build quality just gets better and better. You've a job to tell that plastics are used.

I think the word is "Sweeeet!" :D