still confused about takes and comping

edurbrow

I'm not hearing what I'm seeing. I made a mistake coming in a bar early for the B section at measure 82, so I used the scissors and cut up bar 79 and dragged it over to bar 80 after I had dropped in and recorded from 81. It actually sounds correct. So why does it look wrong? In the second lane, it looks right but in the comp track in measure 80 there is a chord showing on the 'and of four' but not sounding. And why are there THREE lanes in blue? I thought when takes are showing only the comp track and one other track would be blue.

TIA

546729535_Picture23.png.cefac2f6852eb3a9435e73ab8c2a42a9.png

That looks messed up, like Logic is not sure how to interpret what you've done. By slicing out bar 79, you've created a new take folder and I'm guessing you dragged it over in the overlap drag mode. It looks like bar eighty is displaying regions from both the new take folder and the old one.

Maybe if you back up a bit and re-drag (Option-drag) the chopped bar in No Overlap mode, the display should both look and sound right. But be aware that you are now working with THREE take folders - the sliced one, it's copy and the original one.

It is possible to drop regions directly into take folders but this messes up the ongoing comp. In that case, you'd have to duplicate the comp in the take folder's comp menu. Once that's done, which ever comp version is on top will get messed up but the dupe won't. (If memory serves.) And you'd need to flatten or export the preceding comp (the one you cut out) first before being able to drop that region back into the original take folder.

Edited by camillo jr

It is possible to drop regions directly into take folders but this messes up the ongoing comp. In that case, you'd have to duplicate the comp in the take folder's comp menu. Once that's done, which ever comp version is on top will get messed up but the dupe won't. (If memory serves.) And you'd need to flatten the preceding comp (the one you cut out) first before being able to drop that region back into the original take folder.

Man is this confusing. I'll have to mull over your post tomorrow morning when I'm fresh. It's 4:00 am here now and I'm about to go to bed. I'm coming from Digital Performer and I'm finding this area of Logic difficult to adapt to. In DP I would slice and dice in any take with impunity.

Thanks for your anticipated patience. cheers,

The good news is you can edit inside a comp folder, just click the "picnic table" next to the disclosure triangle, upper right of the take folder, to switch between comp mode and edit mode. Then, any slicing you do in EDIT mode will not create new comp folders.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with slicing up a take folder to create new ones. That can be handy sometimes. But it looks like what you really wanted was for all your edits to stay in one folder. If you haven't done much work since the slicing of the folder took place, maybe you could undo all the way to that point, switch to Edit mode and then cut and move your regions around inside the take folder. Make sure you're in No Overlap drag mode when you do that. When you've done those edits, click the Edit button again to return to comp (swipe) mode.