Live electric guitar sidechaining (duckin)?

Hi everyone! :o)

It seems quite difficult for me to find any input on this topic all over the net, so I'd like to ask something over here, in case someone could give me a helping hand.

Lately, I've been working on an electronic music project (completely done with Logic 9 & Reason), and in the mixes of almost all songs, I use to apply a little amount of side chain compression (ducking) to the electric guitar parts (there are a lot of guitar parts as this is an electro/rock project).

as I'm also supposed to be the live guitarist of this band for future gigs, my question is:

If I want to try to sidechain the sound of my guitar on stage in order to sound as close as I can to the guitar sound on the final mix of our cd,...which would be the easiest and effective way to do it?

is there any chance to get some tutorials out there on how to do it properly?

I'd also like to know if you guys think this is a non sense idea, or it's a common practice in the "live" scenario and if there are out there many bands that do so!

Of course there are many parts where no ducking effect is needed, so I'm wondering how to deal with that!

just in case you want to know, for the gigs, I'm planning to use Logic 9 on a MacBook Pro with an M-Audio Profire 2626 audio device.

I wonder if the solution would be to take the guitar signal through one channel of the audio devide and then through Logic 9 (in order to automate the signal with the Logic Compressor) and then take the output back and connect it to the input of my amplifier (using a Reamp box). I guess it could be a posibility but, would the logic compressor react fine with a clean DI signal instead of a distorted signal (as in the mixing stage)?

hope you find my question interesting and if this has been covered in another thread, please,...excuse me!!!...I've done some searches with no luck

finally, sorry if there are some mistakes when I write. My english is not that good I'd wish!! :o)

Thanks a lot in advance guys!!...you rock!

I wonder if the solution would be to take the guitar signal through one channel of the audio devide and then through Logic 9 (in order to automate the signal with the Logic Compressor) and then take the output back and connect it to the input of my amplifier (using a Reamp box).

You could do it this way, but for live use I'd be more comfortable with a hardware compressor solution, especially since you're using an M-Audio interface.

But to do this in Logic efficiently, open the Environment, mixer layer. Create a new channel strip- Input. Set it to Mono. In the Inspector, set its input to the port your guitar is plugged into. Assign the output to the mono hardware out that you're connecting to your stage amp. Insert the compressor on this channel strip and set its sidechain input to the bus or track you want the comp to externally key from. Set up the comp settings and your guitar level going to your amp will now duck.

mmmmmm....cool cool!!...many thanks mate!!

as I'm not really a PRO in what Logic concerns, I'm curious to know why most people prefers to use the environment instead the regular Logic mixer. For now, the environment seems to be quite confusing to me :((

well, just in case of doing this with a hardware compressor, could you be so kind to share with me some hints on how you'd deal with it just like you explain me regarding the 'logic way' option?

btw, any advice on any hardware compressor with sidechain input integrated that could serve this purpose?

thanks once again for you patiente guys!!...I really appreciate your help!

cheers!!

I'm curious to know why most people prefers to use the environment instead the regular Logic mixer.

You can't create an "Input" channel strip from the regular mixer window.

well, just in case of doing this with a hardware compressor, could you be so kind to share with me some hints on how you'd deal with it just like you explain me regarding the 'logic way' option?

Do you want to key the compressor from multiple track signals fed to a bus, or just from a single track? Do you own a mic preamp? Direct box?

btw, any advice on any hardware compressor with sidechain input integrated that could serve this purpose?

Since you're obviously on a tight budget, look for something used. I have an old Behringer Composer here that I use for this kind of utility stuff. Works quite well and they can be had cheap.

ok!!..cool info!!...I'll have it in mind

Regarding the other questions:

yes,...I want to key the compressor from a single track (probably a kick track from Logic)

yes,..I have a Direct Box

yes, I own a few preamps, exactly this devices:

1x Presonus Eureka ( 1 input channel . This one has a compressor integrated)

1x Apogee Duet (2 input channels)

1x M-Audio Profire 2626 (8 input channels)

1x Presonus Digimax FS (8 input channels)

;O)

Right. So, buy a compressor that can be externally keyed. Coming out of your guitar/pedals, into the DI, then into the preamp. Output of the pre into the comp. Output of the comp into your re-amp box (or backwards through a good passive DI) and into your stage amp.

In Logic, the cleanest way to do this is duplicate your kick track and assign the new channel strips output to an unused audio port. Now you can control its level independently of the mix kick. Plug that output port into the external key input of the hardware compressor. That's it, set up the comp to taste.