Copy Automation from one track to a new one? [SOLVED]

Adam D

Is there a way to record an audio region, say for 5 minutes or so, and then, automate a bunch of stuff into it after I perform... and THEN, could I erase the audio, BUT LEAVE THE AUTOMATION DATA, so that when I re-record it (or play it live) the automation would do as I had asked it to do, but effect the new audio I'm playing in, and I wouldn't hear the original audio? Or, even better, is there a way to record that same audio, automate to my heart's content, copy all that automation data, put it on a new, empty audio track, then mute the original track so that I can reference it when I want?

Thanks!

Adam

You can just Shift drag around the Automation and Copy (Command-C) and go to your destination track and Paste (Command-V). You will have to create a region to attach the automation to in the new track.

So, just to be clear, I select the automation from the track I want to copy it from, copy the automation (is there a special copy/paste for automation?) then select another track that could have, say, 1 second of silence recorded into it, and then paste it onto that track? Then, could I just monitor that track and hit play and then get a time sequenced automation effect as i play/sing into logic? Who needs mainstage if that's the case? :-)

Open the Automation lane. Hit A on your keyboard. After you have your automation written as you like Hold the Shift key while dragging around the Automation nodes. Then they turn white to show they're selected. Hit Copy Command -C. Then create your new track and move the playhead back to the beginning and with the new track selected hit Command -V to paste into the new track. Make sure in the track header you have the Read button selected.By default it is set to off.

Is there a way to record an audio region, say for 5 minutes or so, and then, automate a bunch of stuff into it after I perform... and THEN, could I erase the audio, BUT LEAVE THE AUTOMATION DATA, so that when I re-record it (or play it live) the automation would do as I had asked it to do, but effect the new audio I'm playing in, and I wouldn't hear the original audio?

That part's simple: set your automation preferences to "never". Then delete the audio file. The automation will remain where it is.

You ALL are too quick for me :-))))

Please, feel free to talk to me like I'm in 1st grade.

BTW,

In the manual it says:

Copying and Moving Automation Data

After you create or select automation nodes and lines, you can easily change things to

meet your needs.

To copy automation data within a track

μ Select the nodes or lines you want to copy, then Option-drag the selection to a different

location on the track.

Any existing nodes in the destination area are deleted.

To copy automation data between tracks

1 Select the track that contains the automation data.

2 Use the local Arrange menu Edit > Copy command.

3 Select the track you want to copy the automation data to.

4 Use the local Arrange menu Edit > Paste command.

I've done this and it doesn't seem to work.

It works, so my guess is you're probably doing something wrong, and I would guess it's the selection part.

Here's what I recommend: Command-click the automation fader (where my mouse pointer is on the screenshot below) to select all the automation on the track. Then press Command-C (copy), make sure the destination track is selected, and press Command-V.

It works, so my guess is you're probably doing something wrong, and I would guess it's the selection part.

Here's what I recommend: Command-click the automation fader (where my mouse pointer is on the screenshot below) to select all the automation on the track. Then press Command-C (copy), make sure the destination track is selected, and press Command-V.

Cool David. Can't see the screenshot... which as you guessed, I do indeed need :-).

Anyway... noodling around, experimenting, still must be doing something wrong. It seems to be copying the region as well. It's like my audio data is somehow getting stuck to my automation data.

Oh, OK, I was able to do that. But it only copies the automation that's present in the automation tab, right? (Volume, drive, panning, etc.) one at at a time? Or is there a way of selecting all the automation items?

What would the fastest way for me to do this be? If I have a 40 minute long track with10 different items being automated, all perfectly aligned, exactly how I want them, then I wanted to play/sing live into logic (erasing the audio I had in there... and yes, to a click track) what's the fastest way of dong all that? I might (probably will) even want to save the original track I lay down as a reference. So I'm thinking I'd duplicate the channel strip, bring the automation down to the new channel, mute the old channel, and go for it.

And hey, thank you all for helping me thought this. I know I'm still a beginner at Logic and y'all have really been amazingly generous with your assistance!

• 8 years later...
There's another "hidden" feature in Logic to copy and move around automation: first open the Automation Event list (ctrl-cmd-E) then open a new Arrange Window (cmd-1).

This arrange windows' regions ONLY contain automation, you can freely move, cut and copy those regions without affecting MIDI or audio.

I remembered stumbling across this hidden feature years ago, and over the subsequent years I forgot how to access it. I'm thrilled to stumble across this again, however it seems to be basically useless. I tried using it to copy all automation data from one track to a new duplicate track and encountered several problems. Tracks are not in the same locations making them hard to find, and attempting a copy on one of the automation "regions" caused logic 10.5.1 to crash necessitating a force quit.