Question about MIDI Learning and Tascam 2488 neo

Hello.

I am a total n00b for MIDI thing. But I am about to buy a Tascam 2488 neo and I want to know if this gear is capable of this "learn" MIDI thing of logic.

From the product specifications Tascam 2488 neo is capable of:

-"MIDI Timi Code and MIDI Clock Sincronization possible"

-MIDI Out jack

Sends Program Change and Control Change, MMC commands, realtime messages (such as MTC), common messages and other MIDI messages to connected MIDI devices.

-MIDI IN jack

Receives Program Change and Control Change messages, MMC commands and other MIDI commands and messages, from connected MIDI devices.

Here is the product manual of Tascam 2488 neo

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDMQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcachepe.zzounds.com%2Fmedia%2Fi-3691-232-128-0-6ED36FED-72b5aaf50dcc91b9efaf0f994ddf53a0.pdf&rct=j&q=tascam%202488%20neo%20midi%20implementation%20chart&ei=ZsJ3TrX9GuTh0QGr0b3wDQ&usg=AFQjCNGvJnVSvoitHWDmXVZ6ksLG3G83LA&sig2=HRzfzNssvNOfFCRkax4hRA

Thank you for taking the time to review from chapters 12 and on....

I just want to have a good idea of what are the MIDI capabilities of this machine with our lovel Logic Pro

Maybe I missed something in MIDI 101 (and that includes ski's course, which I picked up as a refresher—thanks for that BTW ski!), but what do you want the Tascam to learn exactly? It's Logic that would be learning features, not the Tascam…

That is totally true. I am the one who miss MIDI 101 :-) Sorry!

In short, what I want to know is which Logic functions will I be able to control from TASCAM 2488 neo using MIDI.

FWIW I've had to install a few system with Logic and those kind of Tascam machines, and they don't play nice together, so I wouldn't recommend them.

Thank you. Any recommendation ? What I want to do is to be able to multi track record and then export files to logic for further edition and adding some more tracks. I thought that Tascam 2488 would be fine for that. And I was excited when I heard about some MIDI controlling capabilities. Good thing I posted here. I was going to throw up 700 dollars...

Since Logic is already able to record multiple tracks, any particular reason you're considering purchasing another device for that?

I would recommend using Logic to record, edit, etc... then all you need is to purchase an audio interface with the desired i/o capabilities. If that's the route you want to take, I recommend you start a new thread asking for recommendations for an audio interface with your i/o needs (you'll get more answers that way).

Since Logic is already able to record multiple tracks, any particular reason you're considering purchasing another device for that?

I would recommend using Logic to record, edit, etc... then all you need is to purchase an audio interface with the desired i/o capabilities. If that's the route you want to take, I recommend you start a new thread asking for recommendations for an audio interface with your i/o needs (you'll get more answers that way).

Sorry for the double post!!

Yeap, the reason is that i would like to record rehearsal and gigs that are away from my home studio (iMac, not MBP). I already have a MOTU UItralite Mk 3 interface, which is really awesome, but does not record as a stand-alone. Thats why this multitrack recorder looked very appealing.

thank you for the help. Unfortunately having heard that Tascam 2488 neo does not get along well with Logic now I am back to start. Sad Robot, I was very excited about Tascam, look like a very nice equipment.