Lacie Little Big Disk - Thunderbolt edition

The Thunderbolt compatible storage devices from Lacie are finally here:

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10549

As far as I understand, these storage devices are made up of two hard drives preconfigured in a RAID 0 striped set. The hard drives are either 7200rpm (1Tb edition), 5400rpm (2Tb edition) or SSD (240Gb edition).

So how do you guys think these devices would perform as an audio recording drive or sample drive? Is the Raid configuration in these devices an advantage or a disadvantage for our intended use?

Agreed with triplets, RAID is not recommended for most audio uses. My choice would be internal SATA, or external SATA single drives by today's standards.

What kind of drive performance do you need that you cannot get from a single 7,200rpm SATA drive? What kind of recording/production are you working on? How many audio tracks do they typically require?

My choice would be internal SATA, or external SATA single drives

My DAW being one of these new iMacs with the Thunderbolt interface, using the Thunderbolt interface would be equivalent to external SATA, right? (Performance wise) As far as I know, there is no single drive storage solution making use of the Thunderbolt interface in the market right now, hence my question regarding this product.

These new Thunderbolt drives are still very expensive.

Why don't you start with a 7200 rpm FW800 drive. Plenty of speed for normal projects.

I'm sure that a FW800 setup would provide me all the speed I need, but still I'm curious about the Thunderbolt interface. I like the idea of having the speed of an internal drive externally.

Archived