Low System Memory Warning

Apheyr

Hey all,

So I'm trying to open up an older project in Logic Pro. I run Logic in 32-bit (The project opens in 64-bit mode). I get the message that some plug-ins were disabled due to low system memory, delete some plug-ins, etc, etc.

My system is easily able to handle the project, but the kicker is this: The project is only 550Mb worth of samples (Kontakt Memory Server shows 450 + my PLAY instances).

Any clue why I'm getting this prompt? Even in activity monitor, it's showing that it's only shy of 2GB.

Thanks! :)

Justin

Hey all,

So I'm trying to open up an older project in Logic Pro. I run Logic in 32-bit (The project opens in 64-bit mode)

That doesn't compute. The project can in no way "determine" in what mode Logic opens. With Logic set to 32, all projects will be opened in 32, if you set Logic to 64, all projects will be opened in 64. In what mode they were originally created doesn't matter.

I'll try to explain more. It's just a simple 'why' out of curiosity.

On my iMac, which ran Logic 8, the project opened just fine. That's in 32-bit mode. On my Mac Pro, it doesn't open just fine in 32-bit mode. That's what's weird. Simple enough.

Yes, the project opens in 64-bit mode, but it shouldn't have a problem opening up in 32. The reason use Logic in 32 bit mode is for ease in using my mixing plug-ins that are not yet 64 bit. For all my digital composing, I use Cubase 6 with multiple instances of VEP. Logic is what I mainly use for mixing a lot of live audio and mastering.

So again, I'm confused why the project worked fine in Logic 8 but not Logic 9 on my Mac Pro.

Edited by Apheyr

...and one more thing I just tried.

I opened the project up on my 2006 Macbook Pro and it came up just fine. Again, just really odd it's not opening on my Mac Pro in 32-bit. It's not hindering by any means, but when things like this happen, I'm like everyone else here. I just like to know why. :)

I had 30 undo steps. Didn't change anything, but thanks for the thought. I'm simply thinking it's just something weird under the hood with this being an older project. Sometimes technology just doesn't work with you.

For example, I opened up Logic in 32-bit mode and then brought up Hollywood Strings (East West) and loaded up some of the 'powerful system' legato patches with multiple mic positions.

The total loaded into RAM according to PLAY's memory server was 2652MB. So, this far exceeds this older project. Of course, I did get a prompt from the PLAY engine that loading anymore samples could cause performance issues, but this is normal for PLAY and why I host these samples in VEP on other machines.

Weird right? :)

I had a project the other day that had Autotune on some tracks. As I was adding more Autotune plugs suddenly I get the Low Memory warning and the project starts freaking out, clicks, pops and it would crash. At the last minute I changed the Undo Steps down to 10 from 30 so I could save it, because it wouldn't let me.

If I hadn't changed that I would have lost the session because it wouldn't open anymore and crash instantly.

A lot of times it depends on the plugins, and we know what a hog Autotune is.

Just a little story...