Transformer Automation Splitter question

Jordi Torres

Hello.

I decided to explore this transformer mode as I've never used it and was happy to find out that I can use it to record CC's as track automation instead of region-based automation or (hyper draw). I'm using it on an external MIDI track whose available track automation parameters are already CC's. Good.

What I can't get my head around is this:

If I use the option-click menu method to connect the transformer's top cable to the multi-instrument object I'm using it works fine and track automation is written which is then output via to the Micro Modular. The CC data is coming from my MPK49 in this case.

If I however, plug the top cable directly to the multi-instrument (i.e, not using the option-click menu connection), then no automation is written.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6175/6175350896_7a9ebb4ac1_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6179/6174436879_1251d9c0ba_b.jpg

What's going on here, what's different? What am I misssing?

Is this a BUG??? (just kidding :lol: )

Greets,

J.

Edited by Jordi Torres

Track automation via Sequencer input?

No, that's just not to lose MIDI input to the arrange.

I found this article by the environment guru Len Sasso and I roughly followed what he wrote there. It's a different scenario in his article, though:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec02/articles/logicnotes1202.asp

J.

Jordito,

Could you explain a bit more about why you're using IAC?

Cheers!

Ski

For no particular reason, really. Although I would use it if the "external instrument" was something like Kontakt, standalone version for example...or anything that outputs CC's and responds to them..in software.

All I want to know is why it only works if I make the connection one way and not the other.

(using the menu instead of plugging the cable manually right into the object).

Thanks for your interest.

J.

I don't see any difference when I manually cable the objects or use "cable serially" from the options menu. Both cabling operations work fine. However, I'm not doing things exactly as you have them set up in your environment because I don't quite understand what you're trying to do. For example, when I connect the top cable of the automation splitter to the Seq. Input, controller movements are not recorded as automation. This is the behavior I'd expect, actually. Automation data has to be directly cabled to a channel in order for it to be recorded to a track.

So I'm a bit confuzzled at your setup.

I don't see any difference when I manually cable the objects or use "cable serially" from the options menu. Both cabling operations work fine. However, I'm not doing things exactly as you have them set up in your environment because I don't quite understand what you're trying to do. For example, when I connect the top cable of the automation splitter to the Seq. Input, controller movements are not recorded as automation. This is the behavior I'd expect, actually. Automation data has to be directly cabled to a channel in order for it to be recorded to a track.

So I'm a bit confuzzled at your setup.

:cry:

That's not what I'm doing.

My top cable is going into the multi-instrument for the automation stuff to happen, and the bottom cable is conected to the seq. input so I can play notes and such. This is the menu I'm talking about:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6166/6174436725_531674d097_z.jpg

The whole point of the whole procedure is to record CC's as track automation and not as RBA. I've already reached that goal (as you can see in the first image posted...those are CC's recorded as track automation in a external MIDI track), but only if I make the connection via the menu.

Regards,

J.

I've edited my first post to avoid confusing people. The scenario now is: CC data comes from the MPK49, passing though the transformer. Top cable to the Micro Modular's multi-instrument object. Bottom cable connected to the sequencer input object to be able to continue to input notes into the arrange.

(By the way, I know I could disconnect the cable coming out of the SUM port if I only plan to input data from the MPK)

J.

OK, I've attached 2 projects here. One's working fine over here (using the option-click method to connect the objects), and the other isn't (connecting by dragging a cable from one object to the other).

Can anyone tell me what's different between the two...why is the second method not working? Or maybe it works on your systems?

Thanks.

J.

auto splitter_working.zip

auto splitter_not working.zip