Help using my external synth with Logic!

remix6

Hi guys,

I have just bought my first external synth. I was wondering if you could please clarify if I am correctly connecting my Nord Lead to my computer and with Logic.

1). I have a M-Audio midi to usb adaptor going to usb on the Mac

2). I have Left and Right TSR audio cables going from outputs A & B on the Nord into the guitar inputs on the Apogee Duet

3). I have created a new layer and a new 'multi instrument' in the logic environment. I have Selected '1' and '2' on the instrument.

4). To load up the synth I create a new 'Software Instrument' then select 'External Instrument' on the channel strip.

5). I then choose 'Midi Destination as: Multi Instrument' & 'Input as: 1-2'.

Reason I ask as I am having a bit of trouble below...

I can see that the keyboard is active on the bottom of the Logic interface and can hear the synth and see volume activity through the channel. However it refuses to record midi data (yes I am checking R on the channel)?

Whilst on this topic is this the best way to control the synth? It seems a bit tedius to write more than one channel of midi, as it appears I have to bounce the midi down to audio before I can consider swapping/programming a new patch or the previous data will just play the new sound? Which is a bugger as I would like to automate things later down the line using the synths hardware parameters.

Any advice on configuration the correct way would be greatly appreciated!!

I would take another route.

1). I have a M-Audio midi to usb adaptor going to usb on the Mac

2). I have Left and Right TSR audio cables going from outputs A & B on the Nord into the guitar inputs on the Apogee Duet

Great. Keep that cabling.

3) In Logic, create a new external MIDI track.

4) In the Library, select your M-Audio MIDI to USB adaptor > Channel 1.

5) Create a new stereo audio track, inputs = 1-2, and enable input monitoring ("I" button).

When you need more tracks, select that track and choose Track > New with Next MIDI channel - or equivalent key command - as many times as you want tracks (up to 16).

Heya David,

I have set it up as you instructed. I can hear the synth through the audio channel, and it now records midi data in the external midi track, however there is no playback to be heard.

Note: I also deleted my previous settings in the environment.

(Please see attachment)

15580552_ScreenShot2011-09-23at3_42_56PM.thumb.jpg.fd68173fc7ab00063646785339478845.jpg

Whilst on this topic is this the best way to control the synth? It seems a bit tedius to write more than one channel of midi, as it appears I have to bounce the midi down to audio before I can consider swapping/programming a new patch or the previous data will just play the new sound? Which is a bugger as I would like to automate things later down the line using the synths hardware parameters.

The Nord Lead is 4-part multitimbral. So you can have four tracks of MIDI in your project that trigger a different program slot in the Nord. If you want more, you'll have to buy another Nord!

The Nord Lead is 4-part multitimbral. So you can have four tracks of MIDI in your project that trigger a different program slot in the Nord. If you want more, you'll have to buy another Nord!

Cheers bro, I think you missed the point of discussion though :)