Apple wants me to clean install snow leopard. Lion time??

Adam D

So yes, logic does strange things on my computer. (my computer works perfectly with every other program btw, including final cut express... if that matters.)

Anyway, it all seems to trace back to the fact that logic randomly asks me to enter my product serial number, even though I have already done so dozens of times. Here is a link to a discussion on a different forum that I don't participate in... but it totally describes my problem. http://www.logic-users-group.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3255

So, today was my 5th time on the phone with apple about this. We have now tried everything. They told me that it could be my logic board but that we should first do a clean instal of snow leopard. (did a clean install of logic yesterday and updated it... again. didn't fix the problem.)

So I prepared my computer. Backed everything up. Backed up my backups. Good to go. Put in the snow leopard DVD, tried to boot from the DVD as they told me to do... and guess what? My computer won't boot from the snow leopard DVD. (10.6 not 10.6.1 or 2 fyi) Turns out that is a known problem and that apple would have to send me another snow leopard DVD (or maybe I could borrow one from a friend?) that is a later release. OMFG dear Liza, there's a hole in my bucket.

So one last idea I had... maybe a bad one... can I do a clean install of LION? Is logic compatible (like for real) with Lion? I saw that some people download lion and then make a disc from the install. I could update my iMac (family computer) with Lion, make the install disc and do a clean install on my MPB?

Help. Anybody? What do I do?

Have you tried moving the following files to the desktop?

Library/Application Support/Pro Apps/Logic Studio System ID

Library/Application Support/Pro Apps/ProAppsSystemID

Restart the computer and open Logic.

yeah. we tried that the first two times I called in :-( Made no difference. Thanks though.

I've recently decided to start over with a new 10k rpm hard drive and a clean install of Lion + logic 9.1.5. It has been a bitch to transfer everything, preferences, channel strip settings, plugins, etc, but well worth it so far.. everything is much snappier, and i even managed to keep my cinema display in sleep mode while logic is playing. (they must have fixed that bug)

I had the issue of the serial number prompt coming up repeatedly after every reboot. That's because I came from logic 7. What ended up fixing it is not the insertion of the dongle at the 2nd prompt, but the key from my upgrade version of logic 8. Maybe if you're in a similar situation that might help.

I've recently decided to start over with a new 10k rpm hard drive and a clean install of Lion + logic 9.1.5. It has been a bitch to transfer everything, preferences, channel strip settings, plugins, etc, but well worth it so far.. everything is much snappier, and i even managed to keep my cinema display in sleep mode while logic is playing. (they must have fixed that bug)

I had the issue of the serial number prompt coming up repeatedly after every reboot. That's because I came from logic 7. What ended up fixing it is not the insertion of the dongle at the 2nd prompt, but the key from my upgrade version of logic 8. Maybe if you're in a similar situation that might help.

I put on logic express first (Logic 9) then upgraded to logic studio. maybe that has something to do with it? Never had logic 8 or 7.

Oh, just to add another log to this fire...

I created a new user on my computer. Logged out of my regular (only) user account. Logged into my new one called Logic Test.

Went to launch Logic and it wouldn't even launch. switched it to 32 bit mode. Launched perfectly. Threw out that pro aps folder in the library, entered serial numbers again, 32 bit launched perfectly, 64 crashed before it even launched up. Tried for a minute or two to load plugins, etc, but then crashed. And no, I don't have any 3rd party plugz.

went back to my normal user account, launced logic in 32 and 64 no problem. 1x. 2x. 5x. 10x. launched perfectly. 11th time, it asked for my serial number. I didn't enter it. just hit quit. launched it again. asked for sn. quite. launched, asked for sn 5x. 6th time, it just launched right up and I was working. (all in 64 bit mode.) WTF?!!!

So one last idea I had... maybe a bad one... can I do a clean install of LION? Is logic compatible (like for real) with Lion? I saw that some people download lion and then make a disc from the install. I could update my iMac (family computer) with Lion, make the install disc and do a clean install on my MPB?

Help. Anybody? What do I do?

I think Logic is compatible, but make sure the drivers for your audio interface are rated for Lion. I have an Allen & Heath ZED R16 which unfortunately is not yet usable with Lion. Fortunately I have another interface that works OK with Lion. I've heard that quite a few manufacturers are slow at getting out the Lion updates for their drivers.

@Somerset

yeah me too on the ZED R16.. c'mon A&H where's those drivers?

it's been said i guess but maybe you fixed the problem already?.. Logic seems to work fine in Lion it's the hardware drivers for any external stuff/3rd party plug-ins that you have to look into.

Archived