Mainstage newbie question about effects.

8BitJay

I have a Mainstage question. Looks like I may be using it soon, if I can get it to do what I want. I've never used it, but I am doing a live show soon.

Currently, I have a backing track that consists of my 30-minute setlist. It's all one stereo track that I created to fit into my allotted time slot.

I want to import that 30-minute audio file into Mainstage. Certain songs have certain vocal effects. For instance, one has a heavy distortion and another song has my voice pitched down a few steps. I want to set this up so that I don't have to walk back to my MacBook between songs as they will be playing in one continuous file. Can I set up markers or something of the sort in Mainstage to automatically switch vocal effects for songs, and perhaps even for a clean signal between tracks in case I need to talk to the crowd a bit?

I hope that all makes sense, I know that's kind of a messy sounding scenario.

Edit: I just want to know if it's possible before I commit to it. I don't have it yet, but may pick it up (as part of my upgrade to Logic Studio) if it does what I need.

As far as I know, Mainstage has no automation, but you could do this

With a midi foot controller like FCB1010, or Apogee Gio. Set a foot switch

to multiple mappings as to enable certain effects and bypass others. Or place you're Playback at concert level and you're different "sounds" at patch levels.

This is if you're backing track is one continuos file. I personally break it down to

several files at set level with patches for different sounds. That way, I can take my time to talk to the crowd while my keyboard player changes the set or patch depending the song.

I have heard of a way to use Logic to send midi messages to mainstage, but can't say if it will do what you need. Anyone???

• 2 weeks later...

This is a no brainer:

You are completely OK with being a slave to the sequence.

DON"T BOTHER WITH MAINSTAGE, use Logic.

Set all automation in Logic, and press Play.

Since 1998 I have been doing this (with Digital Performer) and only until recently have I discovered and fallen in love with the idea of NOT being a slave to the sequence, which is where Mainstage comes in.

TREATMENT