Logic 9.1.5. Time Stretching on Lion is full of glitches

JohnSmfifth

Since updating to Lion OS X and having to update logic to 9.1.5 I have found time stretching is full of performance errors.

After chopping up an audio file, I tried time stretching segments of it, but when I time stretched one part of it the processed part was replaced with the previous segment of audio that I had previously stretched, not the one I was stretching. I initially thought it was altering the pitch or something. But not the case. It did this repeatedly, the only way I found to make it do the process correctly was by creating a duplicate track and dragging the audio clip to that track, then when I time stretched the clip it worked as it should and I dragged it back to the original track.

Also often it doesn't even react after stretching it just leaves the segment stretched but not processed, then when you play it returns to it's pre stretched size.... This is the first time i have got back into working on audio since upgrading and I am finding myself spending more time reporting on errors and problems than I am getting on with work....

Anyone else experience similar issues with logic 9.1.5 and Lion? Never had the slightest problem before, I have been using Logic for about 9 years, so no patronising responses please ;)

Yes all sorts of crazy!!!

If I try to stretch a region of a audio file Logic hangs.

If I make a new file from selection and Logic doesn't hang but dragging region shorter sometimes makes it 10 times as long...

If I use Flex mode instead of the audio engine for the track then stretching works fine.. But that may not work for all time stretch needs??

Cheers

Hugo

While Logic Pro with Snow Leopard is rock solid, I've seen Logic Pro with Lion crash again and again.

Time stretching directly in the arrange window by holding down the Option key and extended the region length often results in a crash for example.

Installing Pro Tools (sound card drivers, particularly the MIDI drivers) in Lion will make Logic Pro and Ableton Live extremely slow and unstable on the same machine.

I think these types of problems are to be expected with a new operating system, which is why I'm not going to switch to Lion until I really, really need to.

Same here, with the Flex stuff under Lion. No quits but wrong graphics. Anybody still in the 90 days or with pro audio agreement?

I think these types of problems are to be expected with a new operating system, which is why I'm not going to switch to Lion until I really, really need to.

+1 I had to stay on 10.4 with G4 hardware for 10 years to run PT 6.4 with Mix24, even bought a replacement G4 on e-bay to keep the whole setup running. ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Hmmm... well my problems seem to have gotten worse. The earlier problem seems insignificant now, not sure what has caused my new problems, I am guessing it must have been the 10.7.2 update.

I am now finding almost any use of flex/time-stretch in the arrange window results in a spinning wheel that will not resolve. Also none of the terminal commands to force logic to quit result in a crash save file.

Things are getting worse with Lion not better... I am going to have no choice but to scrap Lion, so far largely I have preferred Lion despite the numerous issues, mostly they have been fixed or found work arounds, but I am getting to the point where I want nothing more to do with Apple or music software, the tech gets worse and worse, I spend more time faffing with problems than I do actually doing anything creative.... 10 years on and I wish I was still working with emagic's logic 5.8 .... it was a more laboursome way of working, but it worked and I could do everything I can do now more-or-less, just now it all promises to be quicker and more efficient, but the amount of time wasted with issues takes vastly more time than having a more laboursome but reliable setup.

Apple seems more concerned with a glitzy corporate image than it does in having useable systems, PC's are really beginning to seem not so bad... Is Apple now just about superficial low level distractions when it comes to software, seems Adobe maybe something worth changing to for music production, Apple's software seems to be a bit of a sinking ship, FInal Cut X (say no more), Logic Pro never really delivers on the promises.... Instead of refining operating systems they rewrite them and cause more problems... They create something called the Genius Bar, and when you go there with issues they are unable to help and ask you to phone Apple for help?????

Think I am becoming Appled out....

Observations here:

On my 2011 iMac with only Logic 9.1.5 and Lion 10.7.2 installed (No other software other than standard Lion installations and 3rd party AU Plugins such as Kontakt, VE Pro etc...) and Motu Ultralite Audio/Midi interface, Flex works without issue....

On Client's system which is identical to mine (Same OS, Logic Version same iMac model and year and same FW800 Glyph drives etc ) and nothing else installed with the exception of different Audio Interface (Mbox2) with latest DD drivers and with PTools installed, Flex is a nightmare... with spinning beach balls and crashes for no reason

So uninstalled PTools and all DD drivers... from Client's iMac (I actually used the clone I made after I had initially installed Lion and Logic only for him prior to him installing PTools etc and then updated everything) and replaced Mbox 2 with Motu 828Mk3 Hybrid. Result? No Flex issues so far and according to client, Logic appears much snappier in use.....

Conclusions? Sounds to me like PTools installation and/or DD's drivers (at least in this case) are at fault here.. which wouldn't surprise me at all. Could be wrong of course.. but somehow i doubt it.

• 2 weeks later...
I had this exact problem today. Logic crashed on me five times. Had to restart my computer and everything. On a side note, my fan is out of control. Logic must have screwed up my preferences. Temps fine, fan's spinning like mad. Anyway, I switched logic to 32 bit and was able to stretch my files. I'm getting really close to switching to protools. I could have gotten a pc and paid for pt 10 with the savings. I stay with mac so I don't ever have these problems. The deeper i get into logic, the more problems I have. Anyway, try opening logic in 32 bit and try again. Worked for me.