Changing midi notes/channels in the Environment Window

mejon

Hello all, I'm hoping someone can point me to any resources or help on how to use the Environment Window to modify midi information on a midi track. I know how to do this with the transform window, but, I'm looking to see if I can create an Environment window setting that will modify the midi data automatically (saving time!)

Essentially, I'm using audio to score for drum replacement to translate percussion audio tracks into midi data. I've used the drum replacement/doubling feature in Logic, but I've found the audio to score to be more precise for what I'm doing.

Using audio to score generates lots of random note numbers and sometimes midi channels too, so I'm using the transform window to change everything into midi channel 1 and one midi note for each track, This takes a bit of time even with key commands. So I'm wondering if I can plug in an Environment window preset between the midi track and the instrument that will change the values for me.

Essentially each audio track needs to be translated into one midi note on midi channel 1. There are many audio tracks, but each one needs it's own midi note, but all the tracks will be going to midi channel 1. Velocity info stays intact.

I appreciate any and all help with this.

cheers

so I'm using the transform window to change everything into midi channel 1 and one midi note for each track, This takes a bit of time even with key commands. So I'm wondering if I can plug in an Environment window preset between the midi track and the instrument that will change the values for me.

You can do that for sure. Just create a new Instrument in the Environment (or Multi Instrument if plan to realtime transform more midi tracks) and patch/cable a transformer object between the Instrument and the Software Instrument instance.

Open the transformer and set the same settings you do in the Transform. Create track(s) for the Instrument object in the Arrange and move the midi regions to that track(s).

A.G

Couple of things...

I'm kinda surprised that the result of your audio-to-score procedure is creating notes on multiple MIDI channels. I'd be curious to see what's going on there.

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be faster (and kinda more "permanent") if you were to clean up the regions manually. For example, there's a function called 'select equal channels'. If you clicked on any single event on ch. 2 and then used that function, all ch. 2 events would be selected in that region. Then you could delete them with a single hit on the delete key.

As far as note pitches, you could use the region's transpose function to get the notes where you want them to be and then use the 'normalize' function on the region to permanently apply the transposition to the notes. Could be wrong, but I think this is only available as a key command. Search the k/command window for "normalize" and you'll find them.

But if you did want to use the environment and approach the situation with Scandor's suggestion, then yes, you can import environment layers from one song to another. There was a time when using the environment import functions were really flaky and would cause all kinds of trouble but I think those bugs have been fixed. You can always try it, but make sure your song is saved just in case something goes wrong.

The other approach is to manually copy/paste environment objects between songs. Having two songs open at once has been known to cause problems in the past, so the procedure would be to save and close the song you're working on. Then open the one with the environment stuff you want to copy. Select the objects, CMD-C copy.

Close out that song, open the one you were working on, go to the environment layer of your choice and then CMD-V paste.

Can I assume you can import that Instrument object into other sessions as well and retain its parameters?

Yes you can import one environment layer into another song, but this feature is recommended for some extra environments which use more objects, macros etc. In your scenario I think the better way is just to save your starting setup as a Logic template song.

Anyway if I were you I will prefer to use the Transform window and create one or a few template presets (the Transform presets can be imported into another song as well). All you have to do is to select the regions you want to process in the arrange, open the Transform, choose a given custom preset and hit "Select & Operate".

A.G