help with making a sound please

i have a sound in my head: i want to play simple stacatto chords that sound like an airy gurgling vocoder (hows that for a lame description). should I just sing an aah sound and then set up a vocoder an play the chords i want to hear, or is there another way (maybe a formant sounding synth)?

sorry if this is a dumb question; I have only recently tried using the vocoder and am still working out the intricacies of it. thanks in advance. :oops:

that's the problem; can't think of a song with that sound. although the likelihood of me inventing a sound is extremely unlikely. i guess I could just get halfway there and fake it the rest of the way.

this Air song has a vocoder part at 46 seconds in that sounds like it's doing a harmony, I guess it would be a good starting point. it sounds like its all 1 vocoder track, and I'm assuming the midi part (not the vocal) is where the harmonies are laid out. but like I said, I know little about vocoding.

thanks for your help.

First thing you should do is learn how to operate the vocoder, and not necessarily to get this effect you want. Just get it to work, get used to the controls, using any sound as the modulator as a starting point. Once you're familiar with how it works, getting the sound that's going to give you the gurgly effect you want will probably be a piece of cake. The main aspect of it is the staccato part playing the synth part (the modulator part). Then you could simply scroll through synth presets until you find the one that gives you the specific character you're looking for.

First thing you should do is learn how to operate the vocoder, and not necessarily to get this effect you want. Just get it to work, get used to the controls, using any sound as the modulator as a starting point. Once you're familiar with how it works, getting the sound that's going to give you the gurgly effect you want will probably be a piece of cake. The main aspect of it is the staccato part playing the synth part (the modulator part). Then you could simply scroll through synth presets until you find the one that gives you the specific character you're looking for.

you're absolutely right about me not knowing enough about the vocoder. not an effect that I use an awful lot, and have just started playing with mostly for the opportunity to learn something knew and have more tools in the belt.

it seems from the experimentation that I have done that the voice (modulator) is not really making a difference if I sing a melody or just talk. the midi parts in the EVOC track are where the melody, or notes come from. almost seemed to work better when I just spoke clearly. I will experiment with just playing chords through evoc and "singing" the staccato part for a modulator. do you think in the linked example the harmonies are multitracked vocoders blended nicely, or one instance with a harmony written in MIDI?

not much time to record right now (kids), so I like to research and geek out with others, then try out the idea's I have been kindly given late at night. so you're input is greatly appreciated.

thanks for the help and the (expected) kick in the butt.

figured it out. the vocoder is actually a lot more interesting than i thought it would be. great for making weird rhythms and pads.

in case anyone is wondering (don't think anyone was): I just made a random aaah sound for the modulator, and then wrote the chords I wanted in the EVOC midi track. to warp the sound I threw a gate on the modulator and I put logics tape delay on the EVOC with the feedback and delay turned to zero and the flutter turned up.

at one point my wife wanted me to do the dishes and rolled her eyes to my "hang on, I'm gating the modulator" response.