How to start clean/empty? [SOLVED]

smokyfrog

I just installed NI Komplete 8 and now Logic won't start - it crashes in 32 bit mode and flashes up an error message too fast for me to read in 64 bit mode. I've tried a number of empty projects but presumably it's something in the audio units scanning. I'd uninstall Komplete 8 if it was easy to do so but right now I really want to get Logic running...

I seem to remember there's some key combination on startup that doesn't load the audio engine? Tried holding Control, Shift, Cmd, Alt but none of them make a difference.

Any suggestions gratefully received... :(

Holding Control while Logic is starting will allow you to not launch the core audio driver. Start Logic, immediately hold down control and keep holding until you get a dialog offering to launch or not the core audio driver.

But in your case I would recommend first holding Shift-Control, which starts Logic in AU-Safe mode.

You can also remove the ".component" files corresponding to the guilty plug-ins from ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/.

Thanks David, it's weird but I don't get any dialogue when holding down Control or shift-control. This is the Ctrl key at the very left hand side of the keyboard? I've tried in 64 bit mode and there's an error message that flashes very fast - I can't read it - and it 32 bit mode it crashes.

I feel like an old eejit, will go and look at those plugins and try that way.

Cheers. I really must update my sig to say 9.1.5 too! :)

Ouch - even with every single component removed Logic still crashes.

Not looking good. I guess I could reinstall Logic from my original box and then hopefully a single update apply will get me back to where I was? Could it be that simple, I dare to ask? Or would you recommend a Time Machine-type restore of all Logic-related files?

:(

I didn't but I will, thanks for suggesting. Going to tackle it all with a fresh head tomorrow though, I've been looking at a screen all day and feel like taking solace in beer and a big fat spliff!

Will report back - and thanks again. Don't feel quite so alone now. :)

too late, I'm back in the mood now. Now I've taken all the components out of the system version of the library, my user one is totally empty. Gonna put them back one by one and keep trying until it won't start. Very scientific eh?

Or maybe they all really belong in the user location - but best to put them back where they were methinks....

:)

All bit working - the error message I couldn't see earlier was with Guitar Rig 5 which Logic has now scanned again and seems happy with. I may look for a time machine copy of the plist file, or would that be pushing my luck?

Funny how a bit of smoke makes you braver

Dude, I could hug you!

Since you do have a lot of custom key commands, you might want to Export them for safe keeping.

From the Key Commands window, go to Options > Export Key Commands. Put them in a safe place.

Then, if you ever have to trash prefs, just go to Options > Import Key Commands and there they are.