New song, first time recording Viola

NorthArchRising

Hey all, just a quick link to my newest piece. The acoustic guitar was captured using two AKG perception 170's and was setup using a capo and a partial capo so it gives a larger range. I recorded my good friend playing viola for it too, same mic's with one above him and one from bow height. We recorded 3 part harmonies for the viola parts and think it came out well.

Let me know if you like it or not, streaming and free download available from http://northarchrising.co.uk/track/golden-times

thanks

chris

I listened to everything on your band camp, I love it all. You remind me of Bright Eyes and Sun Kil Moon. When you say you recorded with two mics, did you do it in stereo or like, record each one in mono and blend it? The guitar in your new track sounds really good.

Thanks mate, it was just one guitar take and had the mic's setup with one pointing at the bridge and one pointing at the 12th fret

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey everyone, once again thanks for the great feedback.

this is just a quick shout out that this track and one other have been released on iTunes and Amazon 'All in Time'

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/all-in-time-single/id492320370?uo=4 (iTunes)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/All-in-Time/dp/B006RD84GQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1325248654&sr=8-3 (Amazon)

thanks again, and for the insightful info you all freely give : )

Sounds very nice.

Bad news, clean up the vocal track. Keep the singing, but get rid of all the other noises in between.

Logic has a strip silence feature that can help with this. Just sayin ... :wink:

you would be right 'me matey' ;) if the vocal tracks had silence at any point, they were recorded live with the guitar takes so theres always some audio on the tracks. I just prefer the overall performance of playing and singing at the same time, its gives a much better feel to the performance overall

thanks for listening :D

• 1 month later...

Song is great as usual. I spotted the audible breaths and spittle clicks and thought "hmm, if he recorded them separately then he coulda dropped them out" but i also reckoned you'd recorded in one take with the guitars and the song is great for it. I personally love the choice to keep them in and record all at once. Makes it sound intimate, like your singing right next to me. Not saying i fancy you or anything. Just saying.

One quibble. Not sure about the mixing of the strings, one hard left, one hard right, one central. I might get used to it but it felt like they were separated too much. Still, awesome song, great stuff, look forward to many more.

Cheers

DaveyBee