Mainstage stability/reliability

Headrc

Ok ...in addition to some of my other recent posts highlighting problems .....I have to ask a general question. I have been using Mainstage now in a live situation for about three weeks. I am using it with a Softstep midi controller and a Novation Zero MkII. Besides problems with Ultrabeat (see other post), expression pedal (see other post) ...I also have problems with Loopback. sometimes when I hit record for a loop (with the Softstep) the looper does not show a waveform and looks like it is recording the loop. In fact it does not start playing it either. I then hit record again .to start a new loop then all of a sudden the previous loop shows up and I have a complete mess. Basically the only thing that seems reliable right now is the processing aspect of Mainstage .....pedalboard, reverbs, flange etc. What do others think? I ask because the stability of the other aspects of Mainstage does not seem to be there and I am wondering about it as a complete live solution with looping, sequenced drums etc.

I've heard of many problems with MS as a whole, particularly Loopback. I don't use it, so can't say anything on this regard. But, can talk of Playback. Not starting when told, forgetting settings, misreading file tempo (slightly). I've found workarounds, but it shouldn't be the case.

I've learned that MS requires alot more thought then Logic, by virtue of being a live tool. I, for one, have gone through many iterations of my concert by way of hit and miss, to get to an "acceptable" point. Not a dream machine, but it works.

Try opening a new concert, and experiment with LB( and UB) until you arrive at acceptable, then repeat that on you're main concert.

I know it's not ideal, but what is?

This is my current live Mainstage set up:

HOwever, you will notice that there are no loopbacks.

In my OTHER band, I rely on 2 loopbacks per song.

Sometimes I want Guitar to loopback, voice, synth, or even on the Master.

I have done extensive work with the Loopback, and I LOVE it.

What I have noticed, is that pushing my CPU past 60%, things start to get weird.

My only complaint is that I wish there was a count-in of sorts, so that I don;t have to worry so much about nailing my loops.

I'll be posting this new setup soon.

TREATMENT

I am using a Mac Pro 3.2ghz quad core with 8 Gigs of RAM and Snow Leopard. Mmm....occasionally when I switch a patch I see the processor use go in the red ...but most of the time the usage is nowhere near 80% plus. I will have to try and watch and see if when the processor gets overtaxed that my problems develope. I thought that I actually overinvested in processing power to avoid it having a negative affect on performance. I am using a good bit of signal processing ....but I am not using hardly any sampled instruments other a couple of drum sounds. Of course the processing is what will tax the CPU IMO. Does anyone know if pedalboard processing is less taxing than using more global processing such as reverbs, modulations etc.? I have each channel strip set up differently with different processing on it, rather than a channel strip set up as a bus and sending from other channel strips. I really wanted to set it up this way to tailor processing to each channel strip but maybe I have to forgo this?

My answer is this:

DO what you gotta DO to make it WORK.

You can cut corners by using "simpler" plug ins, and you can adjust things like Buffer setting to a "live-able" setting rather than "super tight"

It sounds to me like you are either:

a) not sure of where you are willing to compromise

or

b) not wiling to compromise

I would suggest you figure out a "happy medium" and start bussing channels to an "overall" setting rather than an individualistic setting.

Also, don;t forget that if you are playing live, there is so much element of chaos involved, that you might as well forget about being a "control freak", as every PA system, every soundman, every audience, and every night is going to introduce an element of chaos, likely in places that you would have least expected it.

How much chaos can you handle?

Figure out what your limit is, and bend the computer and software accordingly.

TREATMENT