Selective Quantizing

workman

Can anyone please advise me how I can take just the quarter notes in say a midi drum track, and quantize those, leaving the in-between notes untouched? So that the inbetween 8ths and 16ths stay "human?"

Also, is there a way to do this with audio (say guitars)?

I have some major timing clean-ups to do on some tracks I've been sent. So far I've done it all manually, but I'm looking for ways to reduce the manual input on this and still get musical results. I've searched the forum and Googled the matter but so far no joy.

Thanks!

You could try using the Q-Range under the advanced quantisation area in the Region Parameter box. This can be good for tightening up a groove without sounding too robotic, especially when used in conjunction with the Q-Strength parameter.

However, to do what you're asking i.e. quantise the quarter notes only you can select the 1/4 notes in the event list using the 'select equal supposition' command and apply the quantise command to them leaving everything else untouched. Sorry for the slightly vague answer but I'm away from Logic ATM(and my mind is not what it once was) otherwise I'd give you step-by-step instructions, nevertheless it's not too involved so I'm sure you'll figure it out. If that doesn't work for you post back.

HTH,

Alan.

Thanks Alan. I selected the kick on beat 1 and 3 but when I try to select equal subposition nothing happens; no other notes in the region are selected.

I guess it could be because the kick track is in need of quantisation so many of the kicks don't fall exactly on the beat, hence it can't select them. But that brings me back to my original problem - how do I tell Logic to selectively quantize those midi notes that are closest to beats 1,2,3 and 4; without touching the rest of them?

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you I'm in Toronto ATM and still far away from Logic (and I really miss her). If that method doesn't work for you try it from another perspective. Quantise the region and then using the select equal subposition command select the notes you don't want quantised and de-quant them. I should be back home in a few days and I'll check it out on Logic if you haven't found a method that works by then.

HTH,

Alan.