time machine backup

so, just backing up my main drive via time machine, and want to know if any users have any tips using this strategy with their systems. on first backup using a freshly ersed drive indexing took over 20 hrs. i erased and repaired permissions, at this point it seems like it will take 6-8 hrs. My question is once initiated are people not running into further issues, and is there anything I should keep in mind? Thanks y'all! :wink:

I always turn off Time Machine when i am working in Logic and turn it on again as soon as I am finished to prevent dropouts and other possible drive and streaming issues occurring.

I also use Carbon Copy Cloner to do a 'whole drive' backup every so often, so i can easily go back to a stable configuration if anything I install screws things up.

20 hrs doesn't sound unlikely the first time. After that it'll only incrementally backup, so 6-8 hours isn't right.

I have Time Machine running in the background always. Even with heavy projects (80+ tracks) there are no dropouts or performance hits in Logic Pro.

One thing to keep in mind is to never underestimate how much space you'll need for your backup. Even though Time Machine automatically overwrites the oldest backup once it's full, in my experience a small backup disk will get you in trouble.

I have time machine running creating the back once every 24 hours ( I dont get as much time in the studio at the moment :cry: ) and was able to change the time preferences with Time Machine Editor - is a really useful tool if the hourly back ups are not required.

http://timesoftware.free.fr/timemachineeditor/

I also have weekley back ups of the whole system drive with Carbon Copy Cloner - absolutely fantastic piece of software!

Dan