Ultrabeat - Midi record UB's sequencer

rainstick

so... ive got Ultrabeat set up as a multi out, sent to bus's, then audio channels set up so i can record ultrabeat straight to audio... ive been messing about with running Ultrabeats sequencer and changing the beat's as the track goes along etc etc

However - i was wondering if there was a way i could record this information onto the actual Ultrabeat Midi channel, ?

As when i print straight to audio it doesn't then enable me to (easily) use groove templates on the material....

So i guess basically i want ultrabeat to print the pattern onto the midi channel as the sequencer is running... or some type of work around, ?

cheers!

also - when recording through a track with the pattern mode / trigger function... is there any way to then get all of that information onto a midi track, ? i know that i have the key's i used to trigger the pattern recorded onto the midi track... but i really want all the note information as well...

cheers

You can put the pattern trigger notes (C-1 to B0) or/and the regular notes (C1 and up) onto the Ultrabeat track. You can drag patterns from UB to the Arrange track. However you cannot record the MIDI out of Ultrabeat in real time, as Logic does not actually output MIDI from UB, it just triggers its sounds.

I have developed something that allows recording of the switched patterns, that may be of interest to you:

Toggle between 24 running patterns (like Ultrabeat)

hey David - yeh, i can record the switched pattern's, as in - i can programme say, 5 ultrabeat sequencer patterns, and record a sequence of me triggering the different patterns with my midi keyboard....

then when i play that section back i will toggle through the sequences like i played them....

but im not able to then add my own groove to that.... ?

i was just wondering if there was a way round this...

fader8 suggested beat mapping a grove and copying that tempo information across the project the other day... ive used it and i don't really like it though.....

cheers

hey david - OK cool.... the template worked but i have a few (no doubt crazy basic...) question's -

the ' arrange ' window (screen set 2 of your project ) with all the pattern information - what kind of tracks are they which the information is written onto, ? ( are they the note - > fader thing's that are in the environment window, ? )

The transpose - 24 that occurs at the start of the click's and ports chain - is this just so you can use the template with a key board with a small range, ?

In the pattern trigger environment window there is an object called ' trigger ' - i can't actually find an object in the ' new ' menu called trigger... and don't really get what it is ( other than it's probably a trigger of some kind...)

cheers though, it's pretty great! a shame it doesn't work 'mono' like in the ultrabeat mode, although the ability to layer could be pretty interesting, and using it on other instruments could also be ace...

i think ill use this quite a lot if i can understand it...

cheers