Problem installing Motu FW/G5

Hi, I am attempting to install a MOTU Audio Express 6by6 FW to a G5 running OSX 10.4.8.

and Logic 7.2.3.

I dloaded the proper drivers according to tech support, as the unit ships w/drivers for 10.5 and up. No problem there, but I cannot get the Mac to find the Motu. Its plugged into the rear FW 400 port, checked that, everything else works fine on that port, but when I open the MOTU setup, it says "Launch Motu audio setup when hardware becomes available". So it appears the Mac isnt seeing the hardware.

Ive tried 3 different fw cables, checked connections numerous times, powered everything on properly..so Im basically stumped at this point.

I am not familiar w/Motu using RME previously without any problems.

The only thing I can think of is a previous install of protools sw/mbox 2???

Ive talked to tech support again, they basically said after everything tried, the fw port may be not working properly.

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong or to where else I can check in Logic or the Mac? It would be really helpful.

Thanks.

I just uninstalled the Protools stuff he had on here, repaied disk permissions, powered off, reconnected everything powered back on, hit up the Motu, and I still dont have anything.

Id like to think I covered everything b4 we take this unit back to the store. Can anyone offer me any advice that I may have missed?

No, b4 he (my son) bought it, we talked to their tech support..they showed me exactly the correct driver to dload and install for 10.4 and up, as the unit ships w/ drivers for 10.5.8.

They reconfirmed this AM when I spoke to them that the driver I have is the proper driver for this unit. Everything appears to be in the right places, theres a page that comes up when I hit setup that states "Launch Motu audio setup When hardware becomes available"

so it has to detect the HW b4 it will let me into setup. My son just wants a simple setup to use Logic with, with his guitar and some sw.

By the way, thanks for the help, I do appt it.

Heres the clincher..I unplugged the power while the motu was on..lordy, the unit stays on..that means the fw port is powering the unit..I now have to deduce that the problem lies w/the drivers supplied to me by motu..when I clik on the audio setup it looks like it flashes 4 a sec to setup but then reverts back to the aforementioned page...

Got the correct drivers, only they dont work.. Thanks motu for letting me waste a day n ahalf playing w/your toys.

No I havent..I will have to go thru the manual to find how to do that..but after all the time Ive spent, if it works, I'll do a dance.

The Presonus as far as I can tell, doesnt have drivers for this system, but the Mobile looks to be a great box.

Reset....Still not working..You know why I use a better interface? Ive been using the FF800rme..1 time I needed a driver..I sent an email to their US rep, 10 minutes later, I had the driver along w/an excellent email..the driver worked. The whole thing took a total of 15 minutes..problem solved, back 2 work. After dealing w/motu, Im starting to think that companies that have these tech depts, the ones where u sit on hold for 45 minutes, dont really have any answers...and simply push out new products that they really arent ready to or dont have legacy support for anything thats not 10.9.9.9 or whatever..

G5's are still widely used, but ask me how long I sat online attempting to find an interface, reasonably priced, that would have a driver, that works, available for the ole G5. Im almost ready to buy a used interface..as long as it has the original disk that says 10.4.x on it, Im good.

Thanks for the help and for letting me rant a bit. Mo goes back TU da store tomorrow.

I have the driver that they told me to use..is it the right driver? I dont think so, but I cant find another driver that specifically states it is for 10.4 and that particular unit. I would think they tested this, 2 diff techs told me to ONLY use that driver. It is def the SW that is causing the problem.

Is it me? Well, I always tend to think its me b4 I blame the sw..I use a lot of products in my work, n to be honest, they are great companies offering products I only dreamed about 20 years ago, n Im sure the tech support guys do all they can given the amount of calls they get every day.

They only have 1 driver for my particular need, of course they offer it for Mac or win.

Its a zip file, Mac auto installer 100-915 I think it is.

Audio midi shows a new MIDI device but nada in the Audio devices. I got the motu audio desk to scan au's but at the end it also said it could not find the motu hw. Without anything finding the HW, I really cant go any farther.

Also spoke to tech support again, they told me to ditch the dloaded drivers and give the CD a shot. So I did that, but its still not finding the hw. That version would probably work, I just may not have all of the features included. But we dont need everything. Logic's got most of that covered.

I gave it a heck of a shot, Im going to have to assume the unit simply is not working correctly.

I keep quitting then I keep trying again, but I never was that bright lol.

Thanks 4 the help.

A.

Yes, we did that also...we took the unit back..looking at FW boxes...looks like Im going to have to bump the mac to 10.4.11 to be able to use any of the newer fw units.

Its on 4.8 so I dont think it will be that much of a big deal. (I Hope) Going to do a bit of research b4, but there are units from focusrite and a few others that say 4.11 and up.

Again, thanks for your help, appt it.

Well thats possible, then again, mabey not. I thought it was a well made piece, and we wanted it to work, but when youre dealing with potential hw failure, it tends to steer one away from that particular product. Not that theres anything wrong with that.