Chords in brackets

rainstick

I'm not sure that's a thing. Meaning, I've never seen that before in mainstream use, so I googled it myself, and the first three hits that actually discuss chords in parentheses have different reasons for doing so. Wherever you found those chords, have you looked to see if it explains the context for the parentheses?

If I had to hazard a guess, I normally use them to signify a passing chord that is optional (much as I do in notation with parentheses around, say, high notes for trumpets, or optional lines harmonizing with the melody). I always thought that was just something I did because it made sense to me, but maybe others had the same thought…?

Let us know when you find out. I'm curious now.

hmm... im not really a good enough player to be able to jazz it out and guess what's probably meant by the brackets...

i found the progression on some ' common progression's ' thing or something... it was meant to be easy! ha... then i was playing through and though ' wtf ' about the brackets....

i wasn't sure if was meant to be some kind of melody line or over the top or something, ?

who knows...! ( obv not me )

cheers though

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The brackets are used at the end of a composition to mean that if the artist decide before hand to continue to play the entire song all over from the beginning the brackets show the chords used as a turn around before beginning the piece over.

You may also see the chords in brackets or parentheses in places other than the end of a song. This is used to offer the musician alternative chords to use in the arrangement.