Midi file wont play!

M3JCM

Hey everyone really need a work around or some way to fix this. When i duplicate a software track and want to drag that midi file down from the track i just duplicated the midi file won't play at all. However when i play notes on the keyboard i hear it, but when i playback on the midi region i dont hear anything. I could really use a hand here guys thanks.

It's hard to say what your issue is because normally you just press the Duplicate Track button and then copy the regions via drag and drop, to the new track and it should play the same midi notes with the same software instrument as the original track. You can then go and change the software instrument to another one

Maybe a few screenshots of your arrange windows and inspector before and after would help identify your issue?

Thats thing though it should play back with no problem, but for some reason i am not getting any sound out of that track.Also this goes for creating a whole other software track too. I can record fine see the midi coming in fine, but when it comes to playback i don't here any sound at all. Nothing is muted either everything is looking like it should.Then again when i open a whole new session and a i record midi or drop a midi file in everything works as should. This is very frustrating cause this is one of the times i need logic to work the most. If i did shots of the arrange you couldn't even see the problem its about hearing the problem. Maybe a video? Anyways thanks for the reply.

Okay! Much better...

So.. try this...

First select the original track on the right hand side so the track header is highlighted

Next... click on the Duplicate Track Button The button that looks like a + symbol with some pages next to it and NOT the one that is just a plus symbol, to the right of the Global tracks at the top

Now..select the midi region from the original track so it is highlighted.

Hold down the option key and left click and drag that highlighted region down onto the newly created track just below it... and drop it.

Now both tracks should contain the same midi region and after pressing play should be playing the same thing with the same sound.. (Use Solo to check this..)

Now select the newly created track and change the software instrument or preset to change the sound of the copied track and listen. You should hear the midi notes playing a different sound.

(I'm stepping you though all this in case you are doing something different or missing out a step along the way)

Let us know what happens...

Ok.. That did not work still not hearing any sound from the duplicated track. Ive been doing that the whole time. I only hear sound when i click on the notes in the piano roll or play them on my keyboard. Also i have just noticed on an audio track, I can hear the sound but there is no volume levels coming out of the that audio track. They are only coming out of the stereo output. As i mess with the volume fader on the audio track i can hear the levels go up and down but it doesnt show any volume levels. Only shows the volume levels on the stereo output. So with that being said maybe that has something to do with not hearing any midi playback. Maybe something is blocking it im not sure.

Ok.. I think this must be a project specific issue so.... to confirm this or not..

Create a new project.. create one track and record something using just a Logic Plugin like Grand Piano or something.

Then follow the instructions in my earlier post and see if that works.

Do not mute or solo anything... just change the duplicate track to a different sound like Organ.. so you can clearly hear the two tracks playing a different sound and see if that works...

Yes... something isn't right with your project.. At least we now now it is project specific and not a general problem you are having.

Check to make sure nothing is accidentally muted or soloed... as that is typically what causes such issues with a specific project. Go to the mixer and make sure there are no flashing mute or solo buttons at the bottom...

No worries thanks for the help. As im still messing around trying to figure out whats going on. Ive noticed that when i click the notes on the piano roll or the plug in that the sound is coming out of i hear it, but its going only through the stereo output instead of both the stereo output and its own output channel. Also as i was deleting tracks and regions I duplicated a whole different track and i actually heard sound coming out for once as i played it back, but that was after i deleted like 2 or 3 software inst tracks. Then as i did the same on anther track it went back to no sound. I even went to some of my other projects and duplicated like 10 of the same tracks and i heard playback from every single one. So im thinking somehow in the project that i am working on its blocked out like future software and audio tracks from hearing sound through their own channel strips. Hope that makes any sense once so ever. Very strange...

having same issue.

i'm convinced personally that it's a bug. probably has to do with lion's midi handling. i'm having similar problems with my midi library app. "rondo" until a recent update.

i really can not think of any other cause for the problem. i've double checked everything twice. (been using logic since v3 so i know where to look).

if i open a new project all works fine again, but this is defenitely not the normal behaviour of logic.

I use Midi files every day and have never seen this happen when using Lion... so I don't think it's a bug as such. I don't know of any changes to Midi and Lion... and nor have I come across an info relating to any such changes.

I think in the original poster's case.. it is a project issue with something he did, changing how Logic handled the duplicated midi data. I am sure David will be able to identify the issue once he looks at the project data himself.

If you have a case where this has happened too, maybe you could also post up your project for David (or someone else here as i don't want to assume David has the time to do so...) to take a look at...