IAC Bus from ProTools To Logic & Viceversa [SOLVED]

KennaOkoye

Hi guys, I often go back and forth from Logic to Protools... While toying about these couple of days. I realized I could trigger Pro Tools sound with logic, but not without getting a nasty feedback loop. My question is. How do I Play Protools sound in Logic, and the other way around without feedback looping. Also, when I press play in either daw I want the midi notes to trigger the sound engine. I don't really care about Syncing the daws. I only care about rewiring! I really appreciate your responses! I have been waiting now for a while and havent gotten an answer so I thought I would try here. Please help! thank you

Hi david! and that isss the general consensus! but I dont know how that looks like exactly! All i have in my IAC window is BUS1 and it being online... but I am pretty lost on the rest... I need a step by step or some kind of visual i think... I think my hair is turning grey over all Edited by KennaOkoye

The issue is not with PRO TOOLS. Where on a software instrument Track in LOGIC can the port be set INPUTWISE to IAC, that is basically my answer to the thread

But you mentioned a feedback problem? I was trying to help you with that.

In Logic you do not set input ports, you just record-enable any track and incoming MIDI events are routed to that track. So if PT sends data to an IAC bus, Logic will route it to its record-enabled track without you having to set up anything at all.

Okay, I dont think you understand what I am saying.

Protools: MIDI Instrument track!: set to IAC Bus1 channel 1

Protools: MIDI Instrument track!: set to IAC Bus1 channel 2

LOGIC: ES1

LOGIC EVP88

Both channels in PROTOOLS are triggering the ES1, DURING PLAYBACK that is the issue....

I set the autoDemix by channel, but I think that is Only for midi tracks INSIDE logic

Okay, I dont think you understand what I am saying.

What makes you think that? I understand what you're saying perfectly well. That's exactly what the article I linked to is for! :?

Both channels in PROTOOLS are triggering the ES1, DURING PLAYBACK that is the issue....

You must have missed one step in the instructions contained in the article I linked to.

I set the autoDemix by channel

That's step #1. Step #2, for you, just means to make sure that PT sends different MIDI data on different MIDI channels, I think you have that. What about step 3 and step 4?

but I think that is Only for midi tracks INSIDE logic

Not sure what made you think that. The article says:

Whether you're trying to use an external sequencer (like an MPC 2000, or even another computer running Logic) to trigger instruments within Logic

... in your case, PT is the external sequencer.

I followed all the steps correctly... It's not working. I set the midi in pro tools out to IAC Channel 1, and 2, and then on the software instrument track on the inspector to 1 and 2 on the other software track(INSPECTOR). Didn't work that way. IF controlling PT instrument track require setting their midi inputs to IAC, why wouldnt that be the case vise verse... the only time it actually works is when it's set to ALL. that's whyyyyy I used a channel splitter.

I think this would count as a solve if I somehow make YOUR WAY work...

since it seems like you think my way is strange, but works, I trust you since you are certified

This is the way in which it works, along with the environment... Notice on the inspector in logic I set it just like you said... but once I take away that channel splitter it doesnt work anymore.... that IAC Protools is going 2 Channel 1, which is cut off further on the right, and the other midi is going to IAC PRO TOOLS>CHANNEL2

521418753_Screenshot2011-10-25at3_29_21AM.thumb.png.27de4300ad64009643fd99a244185020.png

I followed all the steps correctly... It's not working. I set the midi in pro tools out to IAC Channel 1, and 2, and then on the software instrument track on the inspector to 1 and 2 on the other software track(INSPECTOR). Didn't work that way.

It should work. I'm afraid I can't think of any reason for it not working other than pilot error, although from what you're saying you seem to be following all the steps.

IF controlling PT instrument track require setting their midi inputs to IAC, why wouldnt that be the case vise verse...

Because PT and Logic are completely different animals and don't route MIDI signals in the same way.

you think my way is strange, but works, I trust you since you are certified

I don't think it's strange, I think it's convoluted, unnecessary, not flexible, and doesn't allow you to record any of the MIDI data onto the tracks. But if it suits your workflow, and it seems like it does, and on top of that you can't seem to make the normal way work, then this thread is solved. Isn't it?

No, not solved

Can you do a step Instruction for this? because in this case I am in 2 different DAWS that way if there is any ERROR i will know what I am not doing wrong

Your Way:

Again. I will open Logic with two Instrument tracks, with two different instruments Then set it to Autodemix.

Then, I will open Protools, with MIDI tracks to control(trigger) logics SOFTWARE INSTRUMENT TRACKS. since I will be working in Pro Tools, the MIDI data of the LOGIC instrument Tracks WILL be INSIDE PROTOOLS... correct. To go go one further, there will be no-Way to record that midi to PROTOOLS audio, correct? i guess that is correct.

Questions:

What does IAC have to do with this process? nothing?

Where should I set the ou put of the midi INSTRUMENT TRACK In protools TO? in order to trigger Logic...?

Should I edit anything in my environment for this?

OK Kenna, I understand even tough your way works you're still interested in trying "my' way, am I right? If I'm right, then let's just take this one step at a time. Let's not worry about the environment, about channel splitters, about recording audio into PT (which can be done, no problem), nothing like that for now. Right now, all you're trying to do is have two tracks in PT, record/edit/program MIDI sequences on those two tracks, and have one of those tracks trigger one Logic software instrument, and the other track trigger another Logic software instrument. That's ALL we're going to discuss for now, do we agree?

If yes, then go back to the step by step I linked to in this very thread, and make sure you closely follow all 4 steps I listed.

Then from PT all you need to do is route your two tracks on two separate MIDI channels onto the same IAC bus. The IAC (Inter Applications Connection) bus allows you to transport the MIDI out of PT and into Logic, so yes, you need it for that routing to work.

One thing that would help troubleshooting is to monitor the MIDI data as it enters Logic (You can use the MIDI in display in your transport bar) and make sure the MIDI channels show up as expected for each instrument.