UA plugs and latency in Logic

SculliD

Now that UA plugs are rtas native I am not incurring any latency in pt9.Seems I can even use them while recording. I cannot do this with Logic. Please tell me I'm doing something wrong or missing something. Pt9 stills sounds terrible in comparison to Logic. My question, What's up with the latency in Logic? Thanks much!

Peace,

Kevin

RTAS plugins are specifically designed and optimized by Avid to work with ProTools only so they can do things with the RTAS Plugins to make them 'very low latency' (Though not Zero latency even if might seem like it..) that no one else can do with VSTs or AUs that are designed to be run on a variety of different platforms and DAWs/Programs.

Facts of life... If you want to use RTAS you have to run PTools... RTAS plugins often cost more... Fewer RTAS plugins available compared to VST or AU plugins.

Latency is something you can work around with Logic or almost any other DAW.. using various configs or options with the DAWs themselves.

I have never had any major issue with latency using Logic and my Motus that couldn't be sorted out with a bit of thought and RTFMing......

Just my opinion... Yours and others may vary!

So.. having said all that... What about UAD-2 specifically?

Well, I used a UAD-2 Quad with Logic a few weeks ago with I believe the new 6.0.0 drivers for Lion compatibility and from what I recall, latency was down to 256 samples compared to 512 that it used to be.... which is quite usable in my opinion.

Which drivers are you currently using?

Finally, also bear in mind you are using a Digi 002 interface who's drivers for standalone CoreAudio are know to be... well lets say.. pretty rough and glitchy at times.. Great for PTools but not so good for anything else...

I'm using the current drivers from UA. You may be right about the coreaudio thing.

Find it amazing that I can run the plugs during recording. But PT still sounds like a dog tryin to pass a peach seed when compared to Logic Imho. I will live with it. It's all about the sound isn't it? Music is a listening art.

Peace and Thanks!

Now that UA plugs are rtas native I am not incurring any latency in pt9.Seems I can even use them while recording. I cannot do this with Logic. Please tell me I'm doing something wrong or missing something. Pt9 stills sounds terrible in comparison to Logic. My question, What's up with the latency in Logic? Thanks much!

Peace,

Kevin

On the UAD Control Panel, under Host Compatibility, enable Force Logic to use "Live Mode" for tracks with UAD plugins.

I'm a UAD user. just a few things I figured out.

- when you insert plugins on a Logic channel (UAD or not) they are not recorded to the track anyway.

- plugins like 1176 la2a la3a etc... are not an issue. Mastering stuff like Multiband creates a big latency

- I use Logic's low latency switch when doing overdubs. It bypasses all the plugins causing important latency