Sharp distortion on Vocals!?

Hi, i am experiencing a type of distortion when recording on logic express 9. I am using a rode nt1a microphone and the vocals are crystal clear there is however a kind of distortion that i can only describe as sounding to sharp. I have tried everything with the EQ and compressors but the sharp sound is still there!? i am looking for a bassy, low noise kind of sound. if anyone could help achieve this or advise me on any plug ins i should experiment with it would be much appreciated. Or will i need to upgrade microphones!?

Thank you

Kinda hard to tell what that is from your description. Maybe throw up a clip on soundcloud might help so we can hear what you're hearing?

That being said, try recording at lower input levels. Make sure your gain staging is working properly and that you're not overloading somewhere down the chain. And ..... what are you using to amplify the mic?

For all I know, there may be no actual distortion on your signal but instead, the room you are recording in has a certain resonance that's getting all over the vocal or the vocalist may have a strident voice. Those kind of problems can be dealt with but we'd need to know if your room was treated, or not, and as for the vocalist, we can only guess! EQ can help after the fact. And I've use Logic's Mulitband Compressor (Multipressor) to zero in on bad sounding room resonances without compromising the whole signal.

Thanks for your reply, I am using an M-AUDIO fast track pro audio interface (not sure if this is the best piece of equipment but a few people have recommended it to me). I played around with the compressor that you suggested and also the EQ and things sound a lot better... but still not how i would like. The room i am recording in is un-treated although i am using a mic reflection filter. Next time i record ill most def try recording with less input levels and see if it changes the outcome.