External HD advice re sample libraries....

Hi ForWinterfell,

You have a very similar Mac setup to mine. Since last posting in this thread I have been given a new 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 which I installed in an inXtron FireWire 800 case and daisy chained: 1 TB Samsung > 500 GB LaCie > iMac via FW800 port. I shall be using the LaCie for streaming sample libraries and I use the Samsung for backup via TimeMachine.

Others here will know better than myself but it seems overkill to use an external Thunderbolt device for sample libraries. Read Nigel's (n6smith) post on the first page about real world connection speeds.

Good to know, Red Robin. I'm ultimately looking to add some more East West Quantum Leap samples (Hollywood Brass). I've already got EAQL Hollywood Strings (which seems to sometimes tax my already beefed-up system - SOMETIMES), so if Thunderbolt will be faster, that'd be great... but, if you're saying you've experienced the same kind of situation and gotten by with FW800, that'd be awesome to know. Thanks!

Also, as a side note, update! 9.0.0 is very buggy and updating (to 9.1.7) is free.

In order to update, two conditions must be met: Logic Pro must be in the Applications folder and it must be named just "Logic Pro", no version number or anything.

To keep the 9.0.0 version next to the updated version (just to be on the safe side), rightclick it and choose Compress, before updating.

Edited by Eriksimon

Well, I only have Spectrasonics and a few other similar sample libraries - Nothing too massive. So I can't reliably advise you shouldn't use Thunderbolt for your particular libraries, but I would definitely take notice of what Nigel has to say as he is much more experienced.

Yes, as Erik has just pointed out, where Logic lives is important. Personally I don't see the point of moving Logic off your internal SSD - It's where mine lives and the SSD performs superfast internally.

If only I (and all of us) had SSDs that could hold the sample libraries as well. Wouldn't THAT be nice...

And as for updating Logic Pro to 9.1.7, a couple years ago I updated Logic 9 and doing so caused my Logic project files to be massive - somewhere along the lines of at least 1 GB or more. It made no sense. At that time, as well, I was running it on a laptop with only 3 GB of RAM, so it was taxing my system. I simply re-installed the original 9.0.0 and was comfortable with that.