Can this be used as a near field monitor?

Almost any small frame speaker could be used as a near field monitor.. The question is, do they work for you, your ears and your room? The only way to get a feel for that, is to demo them yourself.. using a few of your own mixes burned to CD for example.. which you take to a store and ask them to play back your mixes so you can hear how the speakers perform in comparison to what you are used to. One caveat of course is, they may be using different amps.. and it will take place in what may be a better/worse sounding room that yours...

I've experimented over the years with all kinds of different setups and finally I settled on the following, which suits my needs and space perfectly.

I use hunking great big Tannoy Reds as my main speakers and then a pair of small Mackies as my near fields.. followed up with listening to mixes on my car stereo... and on a small boom box as they all give different results and I want mixes that translate well across a variety of devices.

As Nigel said, you can use just about any small speaker as a nearfield monitor, but those won't take you very long... I don't place much trust in M-Audio speaker monitors, and $99 monitors from anyone aren't going to sound very good.

I would recommend trying to stretch your budget and looking into active KRK Rokit 5. Maybe you can find a used pair for about $200?

As Nigel said, you can use just about any small speaker as a nearfield monitor, but those won't take you very long... I don't place much trust in M-Audio speaker monitors, and $99 monitors from anyone aren't going to sound very good.

I would recommend trying to stretch your budget and looking into active KRK Rokit 5. Maybe you can find a used pair for about $200?

I don't know about AV30 M-audio how flat sounding this is or if this is already enhanced.

If 99 clams is all you have, I'd suggest you look for something used.

Oh my Cod!

Fader8 is right, if 99 clams is all you have,and you want to trout something new, then just for the halibut ... :roll:

Halibut is the industry standard of fish, it's the protools of the sea LOL. while I have clams. Btw I called guitar center and they havean old model but brand new of m audio bx5 at $149. It should be better than the av30 I guess.

If you haven't caught on yet.. The general consensus of opinion is that M-Audio speakers are the equivalent of Bottom Feeders.... sound like and full of, crap... especially those costing less that a couple of hundred bucks.

As was mentioned earlier.. you would be much better off spending your cash on a reasonable pair of second hand speakers if you only have limited funds... than buying what you seem to be focused on at this time.

If you haven't caught on yet.. The general consensus of opinion is that M-Audio speakers are the equivalent of Bottom Feeders.... sound like and full of, crap... especially those costing less that a couple of hundred bucks.

As was mentioned earlier.. you would be much better off spending your cash on a reasonable pair of second hand speakers if you only have limited funds... than buying what you seem to be focused on at this time.

Thanks. It's my day today, i was able to buy a new pair of M Audio BX5A for $149 at Guitar Center!