Logic X

Doye

Logic X is around the corner.

It is????? You got insider info then???

;)

Seriously, no one knows if this is the case or not unless you happen to work for Apple.. (and if you did, you would be breaking your NDA so you probably wouldn't post up any info here for fear of losing your job!) and so far there has been absolutely no mention from Apple in regards to a new version of Logic. It might or it might not happen this week.. next week.. next month.. next year... Who knows.. I know I don't!

Waiting for the 'next new/big thing....' stifles creativity and stops people from just getting on with life!

Nope, you should buy it now.

+1. :wink:

If you wait, you could be waiting for ever. If you buy it now, you'll learn now, and by the time Logic X come out, you'll probably have to wait another couple of months anyway for my book to come out, and by that time, you'll be already way ahead of what you'd be if you didn't buy the book now.

You should never wait to learn.

I think he is actually working on the book for Logic XX..

...initiating countdown to the inevitable Logic XXX jokes......

But seriously, when it comes to Logic X, I do know. He he he.

no really I do...

Seriously....

Honest....

OK, I don't know.

If I was APPLE I actually would be a little worried at this point because protools dominated AES this year, I talked to almost everyone there and every studio is running pro tools and with PT new launch now, it’s another hard hit to Apple’s Logic.

Apple’s Logic needs to come back hard, something that is astonishing, something that is beyond pro tools that creates a new market where pro tools users after seeing it will say “holy sxxx, we have to switch to Logic”

Problem is, I can’t see APPLE making this type of investment yet, regardless of the capital they have. In the industry it’s been Pro tools with the bigger name, I think the time is now for logic to step it up. I'm’ cool with it if it takes them another 2 years to tackle pro-tools, but honestly they should do this one right.

I will always be a logic user regardless just because this is what I grew up on, I rather concentrate on driving one automobile perfect then having many stored in my garage.

If I was APPLE I actually would be a little worried at this point because protools dominated AES this year, I talked to almost everyone there and every studio is running pro tools and with PT new launch now, it’s another hard hit to Apple’s Logic.

What’s new in Pro Tools.

Record and master higher resolution sound with more headroom in 32-bit floating-point format

Ha, ha, ha ...

I would be a lot more worried if I was Avid right now. I don't think any PT eversion (or version of other DAWs) have received so much negative feedback as PT10/HDX. On major forums like DUC and Gearslutz and DUC, there are son many negative comments about thew news from Avid that new threads about why there are so many negative comments are popping up as well.

Lots of the stuff which now is possible in PT has been possible in other DAWs for years.

I talked to almost everyone there and every studio is running pro tools

That's because it is, and probably always will be, the best tool if most of what you do is run a recording studio, which is most folks at AES.

and with PT new launch now, it’s another hard hit to Apple’s Logic.

No, it's not. Different market.

No, it's not. Different market.

Sometimes it is. LOts of people I know use Logic for exactly the same stuff they other use PT for, with great success: recording, editing and mixing.

Sure, I see a lot of overlap too. Plenty of folks use both, (like me!). I was specifically referring to the crowd at AES. Audio geeks usually outnumber the music geeks there by about 10-1!

In general, PT is seen as an engineering tool for "real" audio professionals.

Logic (these days) is more a music tool, for a range of people from enthusiast up to pro, to be musically creative.

Of course there is overlap, and in many ways the products compete (and also complement) each other, but they are really different tools for different markets, in spite of the overlap.

Avid is *all* about the big ticket pros, although as this market is dwindling, over recent years they've made more of an effort to get into people's bedrooms more (oo-er!) with cut down versions, native versions, and acquisitions such as M-Audio etc.

Apple really have very little interest in providing solutions and support to the "real" pro market - too few, and too demanding, customers to be worth bothering with.

In short, Apple doesn't "have" to do anything regarding ProTools. Apple will continue to do it's own thing, in it's own way. And so far, however many gripes the professionals have regarding lack of communication, support and roadmap, Apple have shown the world at large that it's really done quite well doing it's own thing - so much so, other businesses are really trying to understand and employ the Apple model in the hope of grabbing some of the success.

Of course there is overlap, and in many ways the products compete (and also complement) each other, but they are really different tools for different markets, in spite of the overlap.

Yeah, but I can understand how someone who is not well versed in the features of either would make the mistake of thinking they are very similar. Neither company, Avid or Apple, is very good at educating its potential new customers. Neither wants them to think that they have deficiencies in certain functions and features. Buyer beware, ya'know?

Yeah, but I can understand how someone who is not well versed in the features of either would make the mistake of thinking they are very similar. Neither company, Avid or Apple, is very good at educating its potential new customers. Neither wants them to think that they have deficiencies in certain functions and features. Buyer beware, ya'know?

Indeed.

To the OP: yes, buy it now. If you wait for X to appear and you Buy it, I can guarantee you it will be buggy. All first releases of software are, almost without exception. If you're interested in making music now, don't wait.

...they are really different tools for different markets, in spite of the overlap.

IMO, all full-fledged DAWs like Logic, PT, DP, Nuendo, etc. are all the same. They all let you do the same five basic things:

• record audio

• edit audio

• record MIDI

• edit MIDI

• use plugins to create a mix, even a mastered mix (if you know what you're doing)

Additionally, if you're scoring movies, they let you play a movie file so that you can record music against it.

To the OP: so now that you know that they're all basically the same, it comes down to a matter of personal preference in terms of how they operate and which features are available in some and not others. There's also a matter of plugin compatibility which may be of some importance, depending on what you're doing.

For perspective, there are plenty of professionals using both Logic and PT. Just last week I worked with a percussionist who uses both. There are some things about Logic that he prefers over PT, and vice versa. And he chooses which one to use based on what he anticipates his needs will be for each project. Of course, it takes a long time to acquire that kind of perspective, but you have to start somewhere and I'd say Logic is as good as any to start out with. It's a good bang for the buck as well. (And no, not the Logic XXX kind of bang). ;)

(To Beej, "may the Schwartz jam with you too!")

I have used Sonar 3,5,7, Cubase, Logic 4, 8,9, Protools MPowered 7, PTLE 7,8. Now when I look back I see myself as a sequencer junkie. Not knowing what I really wanted. I allowed the marketing hype to make a complete fool of me. Sonar has 32 bit floating point a while now. I was contemplating upgrading PTLE to 9 for $249.00. Now Protools 10 is $499.00 for the upgrade. That helped me to make up my mind. #$%^ marketing. I am sticking with Logic for ever. Clients come and go. Many don't know or care one heck about what you are using once their is no distortion in the music. :P :lol: