Piano Roll Swing

jerzyb0rn

I do much of my drum programing using the piano roll and am wondering if theres a ways to "view" a swing.

I know ultrabeat has the swing selection in the sequencer and i could simply drag in the midi (which is what i do when i want swing) But i use the EXS24 alot for drums, as well as 3rd party plug-ins and like to program these in the piano roll.

So basically can i have the grid in the piano roll appear with a swing, having the vertically lines NOT on standard timing.

Yes of course, but visually it looks that same.....

Not sure what you mean by that: if you apply different swings, you'll see your notes move on the Piano Roll grid. Unless, of course, you're trying to apply 1/16th note swings to 1/8th note sequences - in which case you won't see anything because nothing is happening.

...sry im not explaining it well enough.

When i create a empty midi region and open in up in the piano roll the vertical lines are all evenly spaced apart showing each bar divided up into 16 equal parts (16th notes)...

So for instance i go ahead a draw in a 16 midi notes on every 16th note.. select all the notes i drew in and quantize it to 16f swing, every other note selected moves to the right to conform with the swing.

However the notes that moved over in relation with the swing are no longer on the original VERTICAL 1/16 lines. How can i look at the midi region with the vertical lines reflecting the swing.

Is there a view were the vertical lines on the piano roll reflect the location of were a "swinged" note will be??

I want the line i highlighted in the picture to be 'swinged', not JUST the midi note....and im asking if i can view that "swinged line" before drawing in notes.

Swing_logic_OSX.jpg.ca576aae351ca5e90cbb205355c4b661.jpg

I see what you mean now. No, you cannot have the grid follow the swing setting, as the grid is global in Logic, while the quantize settings are region settings.

To change the grid, change the division setting (under the time signature) in the transport bar. For example a division setting of /24 corresponds to the 16E swing quantize setting.

I can see what you want to do but in my opinion, this will just defeat the idea of swing. Swing is effective by way of contrast, and changing the grid will hinder this. Like many reggae tunes, the drums play a shuffle beat while the rest of the band plays "straight" time, or any combination. This may or may not help, as I don't know you're gol, but thought I should just throw that out there.

Cheers.

Hmm ill try that out David, but im not sure if i'd like that for a whole project.

Thanks alot though!

And yeah carlos, my thinking was i'd like to be able to see were the note will go before drawing them in to just get an idea of were i might want to put a note. When i draw notes in then later swing the drum hits i find some notes don't fit right any more, thats why i like using ultrabeat's sequencer to when making a swinged beat because i can hear the swing as i create the sequence.

Thanks all thought.

Hmm ill try that out David, but im not sure if i'd like that for a whole project.

It's not a permanent setting, you can switch easily between grid values in the transport bar as you compose in the piano roll. As David said, if you're writing triplet swing, then notes can be placed on the grid lines at 12/24/48 grid divisions.

• 1 year later...

In previous versions, the matrix editor allowed you to view the grid by swing etc.

The hyper editor will allow you to view the grid this way (each note can have its own grid view)

- open hyper editor and where it says "Midi Controls" change this to "GM Drum Kit".

Archived