Software intrument not playing loops?

tambo44

Hi there. I'm a Logic Pro newbie so please excuse if this is a simple issue. I've created several projects without a problem.

However, now when I choose to add a track & choose software instrument a EVP88 track is created. When I drag a loop to the track there is no audio. Nothing on the channel strips. I can hear the loop in the loop library. I can drag a loop to the next track down and it plays fine. It seems to be an issue with the software instrument. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the response. I see now that I can just drag loops to a track & they will play. However I was following the procedure in the "Logic Pro 9 & Logic Express 9". It worked for several projects & I am confused as to why it stopped working. Thanks again.

Thanks for the response. I see now that I can just drag loops to a track & they will play. However I was following the procedure in the "Logic Pro 9 & Logic Express 9". It worked for several projects & I am confused as to why it stopped working. Thanks again.

I agree with Nigel: you're probably trying to drag a blue loop (audio only) onto your software instrument, and that won't work: software instruments can only be triggered by MIDI regions.

Erik's also correct: all apple loops are audio files, but only the green ones will work when dragged onto a software instrument track. On the other hand, both blue and green will work fine when dragged onto an audio track.

Hope that helps.

Actually, the green loops are hybrids, they contain both MIDI and audio, so they'll also work when put on an audio track.

Good to hear you'll be around for a while longer Erik :)

Anyhow.... Can you (or anyone else for that matter..) explain further what you mean by a hybrid of midi and audio please? I always though they were simply midi loops that used internal Logic software instruments and I don't understand how they can also contain audio data..

TIA...

[

Anyhow.... Can you (or anyone else for that matter..) explain further what you mean by a hybrid of midi and audio please? I always though they were simply midi loops that used internal Logic software instruments and I don't understand how they can also contain audio data..

Actually, it's the other way around:

All AppleLoops are audio, but the Green ones contain extra info (Channel Strip Setting + MIDI data) such that they can work on Software Instrument tracks.

Green loops will work on both audio and software instrument tracks

CCT

Actually, it's the other way around:

All AppleLoops are audio, but the Green ones contain extra info (Channel Strip Setting + MIDI data) such that they can work on Software Instrument tracks.

Green loops will work on both audio and software instrument tracks

CCT

Ah! Thanks CCT for the explanation... That explains why they are so big in terms of file size...

Once again, I learn something new here almost every day!!

Cheers!

Thanks CCT for the explanation... That explains why they are so big in terms of file size...

That also explains why you can immediately preview them by clicking them in the loop browser without having to wait to load their Channel Strip Setting (which may sometimes contain long-loading samples etc..).

Oh yes.. That never occurred to me.... Huh!

:)