Alesis PercPad and Logic 8

andyr

Has anyone tried this inexpensive new percussion controller from Alesis? I guess being a controller is its secondary function - it's got its own built-in sounds. I wanted to get something I could hit with sticks to control the percussion sounds in Logic, but I haven't had any success getting it to work. I got a MIDI to USB adaptor so I could plug the device into a USB port on MacBook Pro (MIDI out straight into the computer - no USB hub) I got as far as creating a new icon in the Audio/MIDI setup window, but Logic doesn't seem to recognize this thing. Has anyone tried this thing and succeeded in getting it to work?

Thanks,

Andy

I got as far as creating a new icon in the Audio/MIDI setup window, but Logic doesn't seem to recognize this thing.

You don't need to create anything in Audio MIDI Setup for it to work. You need to have the MIDI to USB "adaptor" recognized by the OS. This happens when the correct driver for the "adaptor" has been installed by the user, or when it works with the generic USBMIDI driver provided by the OS.

Which USB-MIDI interface (adaptor) do you have?

J.

I bought an inexpensive cable with a MIDI connector on one end and a USB connector on the other, just so I can try the pad out and see if I want to keep it. The adaptor cost me $5 on Amazon. Maybe that's the problem? I don't remember the brand, but it's not a company I've heard of. How can I tell if Logic recognizes it? With my keyboard MIDI controller I can see in the transport bar when I'm getting a note message through to the computer. Is that the way to tell, because I don't see anything happening there when I play the pad.

Sorry guys, I don't mean to withhold information. There was a single piece of paper that came with it and the instructions were basically just to plug it in, so I threw the paper away. There was no mention of a driver - I remember that. Here is a link to the adaptor I bought. http://www.amazon.com/Converter-Keyboard-Interface-Adaptor-Support/dp/B003TE8ZHE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320505731&sr=8-1

How can I find out if Logic recognizes it or not?

Thanks...

Go to applications/ Utilities and open the Audio MIDI Setup utility.

Go to the Window menu and select "Show MIDI Window".

There should be an icon that represents the MIDI-USB interface (adaptor, or whatever), If the icon appears dimmed, means it it not active (not working). You can try double-clicking to open its settings and check the "Device is Online" box.

If it's not showing up at all, try clicking the rescan MIDI button in the toolbar.

J.

Has anyone tried this inexpensive new percussion controller from Alesis? I guess being a controller is its secondary function - it's got its own built-in sounds. I wanted to get something I could hit with sticks to control the percussion sounds in Logic

If you do not intend to use the built in sounds from the Alesis pad that you bought then you should just return it and buy the Alesis ControlPad. No built in sounds and you just plug it into a USB port, turn it on, create a SWI track, select the instrument you want to use and it works perfectly.

I've been using one for years with no issues at all.

controlpad.jpg.c18044f16c826514b0af9db5b840d7ed.jpg

I don't see an icon for your MIDI-USB adaptor in the MIDI window.

But I see you have 2 other devices that can serve as a MIDI interface for the PercPad. All you need is a MIDI cable.

J.

Thank you. As you can tell, I'm not very experienced with MIDI. After reading your post I ran a MIDI cable from the pad to my keyboard controller.The pad only has a MIDI out jack, so I ran from that to MIDI in. I have Ultrabeat on a channel and I can trigger it using the keyboard, but not the pad. Thinking I might be wrong about which jack to plug into on the keyboard, I switched to the MIDI jack, but it didn't help. I'm sure I'm missing a vital and obvious bit of information to make this thing work...

Has anyone tried this inexpensive new percussion controller from Alesis? I guess being a controller is its secondary function - it's got its own built-in sounds. I wanted to get something I could hit with sticks to control the percussion sounds in Logic

If you do not intend to use the built in sounds from the Alesis pad that you bought then you should just return it and buy the Alesis ControlPad. No built in sounds and you just plug it into a USB port, turn it on, create a SWI track, select the instrument you want to use and it works perfectly.

I've been using one for years with no issues at all.

I like the sound of that. Thanks for the recommendation.

Thank you. As you can tell, I'm not very experienced with MIDI. After reading your post I ran a MIDI cable from the pad to my keyboard controller.The pad only has a MIDI out jack, so I ran from that to MIDI in. I have Ultrabeat on a channel and I can trigger it using the keyboard, but not the pad. Thinking I might be wrong about which jack to plug into on the keyboard, I switched to the MIDI jack, but it didn't help. I'm sure I'm missing a vital and obvious bit of information to make this thing work...

Outputs go to inputs. You should take a look at Logic's MIDI Activity display in the transport bar. Where it says "No In" should change to display notes coming in from the pads. If you don't see anything then something needs to be set in the m-audio as notes from the perc pad are not being passed through it. You could also just plug it into the presonus. It should work without much fuss with that one.

J.