Summing a mix, is it really necessary?

I have a question about summing a mix, is it really necessary to go from you DAW to an analog mixer and back into logic for a different sound, there is a lot of gear out there for audio summing mixers, over the past 5-10 years which mixers do you guys think are industry reconized. This may be a muli-part question but I wanted to get you thoguhts about mixing summing, the pro's and con's of it, when to use it and if of course it is really necessary;

happy thinking!

:roll:

Hey David, what you stated is on point, but it seems that there are a lot of topics still on the net about how tracks sometimes mixed down into a analog sense and brought back into logic gives a uniqueness so it’s that sound that I’m curious to know really makes logic, or is it just marketing tactics.

I would love to buy an SSL, but I don’t think I could help put the kids through college with that expense. Does SSL make a lower model for the purpose of summing or does anyone know of any great summing mixes for this topic?

Hey David, what you stated is on point, but it seems that there are a lot of topics still on the net about how tracks sometimes mixed down into a analog sense and brought back into logic gives a uniqueness so it’s that sound that I’m curious to know really makes logic, or is it just marketing tactics.

I would love to buy an SSL, but I don’t think I could help put the kids through college with that expense. Does SSL make a lower model for the purpose of summing or does anyone know of any great summing mixes for this topic?

There is a little bit more to the production then just the summing mixer.

As for the industry standard summing box, most commercially released songs are still mixed on large analog SSL consoles.

Although largely true accross the whole industry, it varies greatly depending upon the genre. Some genres have a substaintial number of commericial releases done ITB.

I have a question about summing a mix, is it really necessary to go from you DAW to an analog mixer and back into logic for a different sound, there is a lot of gear out there for audio summing mixers, over the past 5-10 years which mixers do you guys think are industry reconized. This may be a muli-part question but I wanted to get you thoguhts about mixing summing, the pro's and con's of it, when to use it and if of course it is really necessary;

The differences between OTB and ITB is to the point of fairly trivial. They sound different but everyone does not agree on which sounds better.

Everyone is looking for "the trick" that is going to make their songs great. Plain and simple, if you can't make a good song completely ITB, you can't make a good song. External hardware, summing boxes, etc, are only "icing on the cake" if you like the sound, but they will only change the overall sound incrementally, not night and day.

Edited by Person99

Not necessary but I love mine and what it does to mixes. It's a small improvement to my ears but well worth it, plus the box I use is also a monitor controller, which switches between three sets of monitors if you have them and also has two fantastic pre-amps, so it's more than just a summing box.

The tough thing about getting into a summing box is you need the converters and cabling just to try it out. I wouldn't recommend summing any less than 16 channels and I would want better than low end converters. I sum 11 stereo pairs for my mixes but still a lot of summing is done ITB.

It's not going to make your mixes amazing all on it's own but is worth looking into if you can. I would make sure you have all the mics, preamps and most importantly your monitoring(room treatment included) before you consider a summing box.

Edit:11 stereo pairs, not 22

Edited by jasonwagner