Strange soft synth issue in logic

remix6

Hey guys,

Strange problem here. I've got a midi channel with recorded data in it and a DiscoDSP soft synth loaded. The synth plays back fine, however it refuses to let me adjust/change any parameters on the synth (eg filters/adsr etc), however the strange thing is if I create a new midi channel, with a new discoDSP instance and play it back manually on the keyboard i can modify the parameters without issue, however once I record it as midi again and then attempt to change anything.... zero changes are audible. There is no lane automation, these are clean channels with nothing but midi data and pitch information. Could this be something related to the events list? Or any other suggestions people?

Did you look in the events list? That's a good place to start. Check to see if there's any recorded CC data that got in there somehow.

You could also try an experiment..... create a new empty track with Disco loaded on it and put the track into touch or latch mode, then record a track of you moving one of the controls (IE cuttoff) and see if that records. Make sure to choose a knob that actually changes the sound when you're just playing manually. After you're done you should see a track of nothing but controller data. Look in the event list to see what that looks like. (Make sure you don't have that filtered out in the display.) Now go back and play a melodic part over the controler track, record it and listen to find out if the controler track is effecting your melody track.

For the purposes of clarity, when you record the melody track, create a new track with the following command: Track > New with Same Channel Strip/Instrument. This track will still point to the same instance of Disco. After you're done, you'll be able to see both tracks in the Arrange - the controller track and the melody track.

Another thing occurs to me... that synth has a lot of oscillators. Maybe the parameters you're trying to change aren't assigned to anything on the synth?

Hey man, Yeah I did check the events list and it all seemed normal. I tried automating as well but the synth just will not respond in any form, I think it may have been related to a bug in the project file or DSP as after creating a new project file it all works fine :/ Thanks for your help!