Recovering Logic files from deleted HD

Hi

I have a friend who has lost a huge amount of work and told him I'd put his email on this forum incase anyone can help.

Many thanks!

Specs:

Mac OS X Version 10.6.8

Processor 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Logic Pro Version 9.1.5 (1700.9) 32-bit.

Dear Logic users,

Two days ago I accidentally deleted a folder containing a dozen or so Logic projects, including audio/video assets, from an external WD firewire hard drive, capacity 500GB. The folder's size was about 20GB. I accidentally sent it to the trash while clearing some space on my external hard disc, emptied the trash, then realised what I'd done immediately afterwards. I haven't saved or written anything on to the drive since it happened. I got a friend to run a recovery program which returned lots of unlabelled audio files, but no logic project files. I'd like to know if any of you have had experience recovering logic files. Which software did you use? If files were recovered, were they labelled? Is it possible to recover the files just as you deleted them, with the same folder hierarchies? If your software didn't recover the files you needed, did that diminish the chances of being able to find them with other software? Etc. Thanks in advance for your help.

The one I use on occasion to rescue client's data from corrupted HDs is;

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php

If it is the system disk you are trying to recover from then the important thing is not to install any rescue program on the affected disk and also to leave the computer completely alone until you need to do the recovery so nothing else is written to the disk. Also, if possible, do not turn the computer off as this can cause OS X to write new files upon turning back on again, possibly overwriting important data

DR3 comes on a bootable DVD which provides for the best chance of recovery.

However, as this issue concerns an external drive then you can use a system installable program such as Disk Drill

http://www.cleverfiles.com/

..though I have never used this personally... as I prefer DR3 as it can cover all the bases.

I do not know of any software that recognizes and recovers Logic projects... as such.. so you will be looking at unlabeled files that you will need to go through to find out which are really Logic projects...

Hello alhpj, suggest your friend to try Stellar Phoenix. It is very good that your friend don't save or written anything on to the drive since it happened. So there is more chance of data recovery. Before Some days ago I also deleted some of my files. Then I used Stellar Phoenix. I don't remember that software recovered the files with original file name or not. Because my data was very important for me file name doesn’t matter at all. So you can suggest your friend to opt for this software. But first suggest your friend to try demo version of the software which is free of cost & shows the preview of recovered files.

Hope this solution will help you!!

• 2 years later...
I've recently reformatted an external hard drive with some of my old song I recorded in Logic Pro 9. I used Data Rescue 3 to recover the files. I followed the instructions from people on other forums to make the program recover my .logic files. I've read that the important files in the .logic batch file are named "displaystate" and "documentdata" (which must be extracted from the .logic file and place into Data Rescue 3 so the program will recognize and recover this important data). The file once recovered will not be labeled or place in their proper hierarchy. Just a folder with a pre-defined name (Reconstructed Files/Custom-1 Files/cust_file-1-xxxxx). Now I have a bunch of "displaystate" files and "documentdata" files. Is there a way to find out which "displaystate" and "documentdata" files go together to reconstruct the original .logic file?

• 5 years later...
Hello alhpj, suggest your friend to try AnyRecover. It is very good that your friend don't save or written anything on to the drive since it happened. So there is more chance of data recovery. Before Some days ago I also try to recover some files from deleted HD. Then I used AnyRecover. I don't remember that software recovered the files with original file name or not. Because my data was very important for me file name doesn’t matter at all. So you can suggest your friend to opt for this software. But first suggest your friend to try demo version of the software which is free of cost & shows the preview of recovered files.

Hope this solution will help you!!

Tools that are still useful until now! Thank you very much for sharing!