Setting an exact dB master level

Hey guys, first post on a forum.

I've got four backing tracks that all play back at different levels as mp3s, but I wanted to import them into Logic and somehow export them all at the same level so that I don't have to adjust the volume when I'm playing them back.

I'm new to Logic, but this seems like it should be fairly simple. Thanks

I did something like that by putting a limiter on the Stereo output channel and setting it so that nothing could go over a certain level. I think I had it set for something like -6 or -9dB and by golly, everything was brick walled at that level with no distortion.

By doing that you're limiting the hot tracks more than the weaker ones - so not only are you processing the tracks, you're not processing them all in the same way, therefore changing the way each track is being perceived.

I would recommend using limiting on each track during the mastering stage if deemed necessary, but not using it as a way to balance level between tracks in a playlist.

By doing that you're limiting the hot tracks more than the weaker ones - so not only are you processing the tracks, you're not processing them all in the same way, therefore changing the way each track is being perceived.

Well yes, that is exactly what I wanted to do. Each song played was relatively equal in volume.

Let me digress a bit. As I was recording the mp3s into Logic, I was adjusting the input level to be around -6 to -3 dB. (ah ha, this is what made the whole thing work).

I had something like twenty songs, each on its own track. Since they were each a region, I could mute the all the regions except for the one I wanted to play.

So to insure that nothing went above my limit, I brick walled the output to something like -6dB or so.

Each song was bounced out and sat quietly in alphabetical order inside a file.

All I needed to do was select the song and hit the spacebar. The song played via Preview.

It worked out great.