Is it safe to update from OS 10.6.6 to OS 10.6.8 ?

ludwig_karl

I agree with triplets in his implying that you shouldn't unpdate unless you have a real need. To the effect that you're experiencing bugs in Logic, there's very little chance that updating to a later version of OS will even cure them. Going to suggest that if you're experiencing bugs (or what you are perceiving to be bugs, but might actually be features) that you post about the specific behavior here, as there may well be workarounds or explanations for them.

However... IIRC.. 10.6.8 (v1.1 as there was an original v1.0 that had some issues..) was the first version of SL to install Apple's Automatic Anti Malware software.. dealing with things like Mac Defender etc... so i consider that to be an essential update... given the recent increase in such irritations...

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1400

Of course, if you are using an net isolated computer or one only used for music, that probably diminishes the importance of such an update but if it is a "do it all' computer that is used for everything and anything then.. I'd recommend the update...

Do you really need the update for something?

I'm still in 10.6.6 and my setup is very stable. No need for me to update.

While the statement makes sense, if you are on a critical path; you should still apply all updates AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, otherwise you leave your computer open to malware, etc.

While the statement makes sense, if you are on a critical path; you should still apply all updates AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, otherwise you leave your computer open to malware, etc.

I take the other approach: if it's not broken, don't fix it. That's why this machine here is only running 10.5.8. It's been stable for a couple of years now, and I enjoy that a LOT. :) So I'm not changing much. Eventually I'll update everything and keep updating until I find a combo that works and probably will stay there for a while as well...

Do you really need the update for something?

I'm still in 10.6.6 and my setup is very stable. No need for me to update.

Malware? Are we using Windows??

You gonna get paranoid because of Mac Defender? One or two variants??

Come on...

Malware? Are we using Windows??

You gonna get paranoid because of Mac Defender? One or two variants??

Come on...

Actually triplets, I have already had two clients in the last month with badly screwed up systems from the latest versions of malware on the Mac.. Mac Defender was a simple one but now there are quite a few other, far more nasty ones.. doing the rounds in the wild.. and some of the older ones like OSX/DNSChgr-E and OSX/Jahlav-C are beginning to appear again in much more virulent forms for Macs.....

It's only a matter of time of course.. given the increase in popularity of the Mac.. for these idiots to begin to write malware in greater numbers and with more sophistication for OSX... such as Flashback-C which disables Apples own anti malware systems.. so it's time for Mac users to be much more aware and take whatever precautions necessary and be proactive... and not just rely on past history and feel like "Oh.. it's ok.. I have a mac so no worries there"

If it gets to the point where Mac users have to start using anti-virus software, I'm giving up the internet.

That is why my "Music" Mac is not connected to the net in any way unless I specifically want to do updates etc. I'm lucky enough to be able to devote one Mac to purely making music... but I know many people don't have that luxury and so, for them, it really is time to install something like Sophus on their Macs...