Portamento only on certain notes, not all? [SOLVED]

pilby

I'm new to Logic Express 9, and I was experimenting with the Portamento Time (one of the MIDI CC supported in the Hyper Draw section).

I do not do live audio recordings, only MIDI music. My goal is simple. Given two notes an octave apart, I wanted the first note to glide towards the second note.

I asked for help in this forum, and the closest answer I got was adjusting the Glide parameter at the plug-in interface. While that did provide the portamento effect I was looking for, the Glide parameter turned out to be a setting that affects the ENTIRE track as opposed to just the two notes I'm working on. This is evidenced by the fact that even if I had no MIDI portamento events, notes would still glide from one to the next THROUGHOUT THE TRACK as long as my Glide setting was in effect.

Can anyone please tell me how I can make one note glide to the next and ONLY those two notes without affecting all the other notes in the track?

Thanks.

Automate the glide parameter, using track automation: set your track to "Latch", and move the glide knob manually while Logic is playing the song. Your movements will be recorded.

I went to Track > Track Automation > Automation Preferences...

In the Automation Preferences window, there is a setting that says "'Write' Mode Changes To" which provides a popup of choices, and that's where I see the "Latch" option. Is that what you were referring to?

I'm also not sure it's a good idea for me to set my portamento data on-the-fly. If I had a C4 bass note that I wanted to glide down to C3 within a half a second as part of a song transition, I need to be precise on the duration of the glide, and doing it on-the-fly will likely lead to imprecision. Is there a way I can pre-set the portamento values statically the way I could the other MIDI CC types?

I always thought the Portamento Time in the Hyper Draw was what I should use, but I couldn't make it work the way I want.

You can do automation on the fly, or you can draw it in graphically, which will allow more precision in your case.

From other posts I gather you're currently reading my book - turn to chapter 9 to learn about track automation.

You can also read about track automation there:

Logic 9 Manual: Working with Automation

Forget that Write mode exists. For all practical purposes, it's useless.

Here's what you do...

With plugin automation enabled, the track in TOUCH mode, and automation track viewing enabled:

Play the track starting a measure or two before the first of the two notes plays. Just prior to that first note, use the mouse to change the glide amount from zero up to a higher value. It doesn't matter if you nail the exact value you want right now. After the second note plays, release the mouse and the amount will return to zero (this is the action of TOUCH mode). Now... at this point the glide parameter automation will be automatically displayed in the track's automation. If you happened to nail the amount of glide then you're done. But if you didn't you can manually adjust the automation "curve" to achieve the desired value.

For something like portamento time, you'll want your automation curve to rise to the desired value before the first note hits and then maintain that value over the course of the note. The value should return to zero after the second note plays, and overall this should result in a "curve" which is actually rectangular in shape: starts at zero, pops up to the desired value and maintains it until it drops down to zero again.

With plugin automation enabled, the track in TOUCH mode, and automation track viewing enabled:

Play the track starting a measure or two before the first of the two notes plays. Just prior to that first note, use the mouse to change the glide amount from zero up to a higher value. It doesn't matter if you nail the exact value you want right now. After the second note plays, release the mouse and the amount will return to zero (this is the action of TOUCH mode). Now... at this point the glide parameter automation will be automatically displayed in the track's automation. If you happened to nail the amount of glide then you're done. But if you didn't you can manually adjust the automation "curve" to achieve the desired value.

I noticed an Automation button up at the top toolbar. I clicked my track, then that button, and I saw a graphical section appear within my track, and it says "0.0 dB". Was that how to enable automation track viewing?

I'm not sure how to enable plugin automation, and perhaps that's probably why my steps did not lead to the results you described after executing your instructions. Can you please briefly describe what I have to do to enable plugin automation? Thanks.

pilby,

Time for you to start reading the manual. Five or ten minutes of study and experimentation will answer all of your questions.

I finally finished the chapter on track automation, and now I understand fully what you're saying. Portamento worked like a charm. :)

I've also learned how to do it using Portamento Time in Hyper Draw, and either way works with me.

Thanks for your help.