The world's ugliest music

Nothing to do with Logic, bit it IS related to music.

What would music completely without pattern or repetition sound like? (Actually, about like you would imagine.) Here's a TED talk video that explores that idea. I found it fascinating.

http://tedxtalks.ted.com/video/TEDxMIAMI-Scott-Rickard-The-Wor

(Originally showed up today on Slashdot)

--

Moose

Interesting. Thanks for posting the link.

Beauty defined by repetition? Perhaps repetition is a component, but certainly not the defining factor.

On just one listen I heard plenty of patterns and repetition. For example, the playing of successive notes an octave apart inherently creates a pattern; and I heard at least two passages in which notes an octave apart were played, making for motivic repetition. So afaic the premise is interesting but the result was a failed academic exercise. Besides, the piece wasn't that ugly (I've heard "worse").

On just one listen I heard plenty of patterns and repetition. For example, the playing of successive notes an octave apart inherently creates a pattern; and I heard at least two passages in which notes an octave apart were played, making for motivic repetition.

It would be interesting to know what the "composer's" definition of pattern and repetition were. Do only two occurrences of something constitute a pattern? Do identical intervals but different timing constitute a pattern?

--

Moose

Indeed!

FWIW, to clarify my spiel on the octaves...

When you have several instances where two notes are played an octave apart (a consonant sound) surrounded by or in the midst series of a more "atonal" series of notes (disonant sound), that constitutes not only a pattern but motivic development as well.

There, I feel better now :lol:

Beauty defined by repetition? Perhaps repetition is a component, but certainly not the defining factor.

Some of the ugliest music I've heard is highly repetitious.

True. Most modern mainstream music is heavily repetitious. It seems that we just don't have good ideas anymore.

Most of it is one semi-good idea, 'Ok, that's good', and repeat. For five minutes. And what's worse is when it's done to genuinely good music from years gone by. That's not just lazy, it can be a tradgedy.

P.

Does Regeton ring a bell?

Since I'm dominican, reggaeton rings a freaking gong!

I know you boricuas invented it, but Its presence was clearly and painfully felt...at least for me, the last couple of years I spent there before moving to Spain.

To my horror, it had made its way over here too! :x

Thank god for bachata! :lol:

J.

On just one listen I heard plenty of patterns and repetition. For example, the playing of successive notes an octave apart inherently creates a pattern; and I heard at least two passages in which notes an octave apart were played, making for motivic repetition. So afaic the premise is interesting but the result was a failed academic exercise. Besides, the piece wasn't that ugly (I've heard "worse").

Geez, ski, I didn't think I was that bad… :shock: :? :lol:

Pardon?

Indeed, some of us are deaf, thus preventing us from hearing anything good.

Geez, ski, I didn't think I was that bad… :shock: :? :lol:

If you consider musico-academic exercises in mental masturbation to be a good thing then no, it wasn't bad. I would go so far as to say that the end result was nothing short of flaccid, but I would never stoop so low as to actually come right out and say something like that.

Ahem.

Ahem ahem.

Ahem!

Piano player was excellent though!

Archived