Add New Track Issue

ojan327

When I add a new audio track in a project, it appears with the title of a previous audio track I added earlier. Sometimes it will also have the buses I configured on a previous track on its channel strip. I want a clean, new track, with default settings, like I used to get no problem! (I don't remember changing any global preference related to this)

I also have an issue that I noticed upon opening one of my projects, which I think could be related, in which the track icons (guitar, drumkit, etc) had all changed randomly.

I wanted to know if there is a global setting I can change to fix the New Track issue. and also if anyone knows what's up with the track icons?

Any help will be appreciated, Thanks!

There are two "create new track" buttons at the top of the track list.

The first (The one of the left that looks like a Plus sign) creates a new blank track with settings as per the dialog box that then appears.

The second (The one on the right that looks like a small Plus sign with a piece of paper next to it)) creates a duplicate track with the same settings... from whichever track is currently selected in the track list .

This happens to me too and I find it very annoying. When I create a new track it brings back a previous channel strip I have deleted. (Including name, inserts, sends ect ect) my solution has been to delete the track from the audio bin. aswell as on the arrange page. Any other, bettet solutions would be greaty appreciated

Ultimately I am bouncing MIDI to an Audio Track so I can effectively use it as a compressor sidechain on another track. Which I've done many times before.

However, on this project which shows the symptoms I've described above, I am unable to effectively sidechain and I've been troubleshooting.

Like jtees said, any other better solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry I hadn't updated my signature, I'm on 9.1.5 I've had this problem since Logic 9.. can't remember if I experienced it in 8 or 7. I'm trying to replicate it now with no success. It tends to happen to me in large projects. But not very consistently.

I delete a channel strip or a few, either audio or instrument, then later on in the project when I create a new track it brings the old channel strip that I delete back, minus the regions.

It's either a bug or a feature.

something in my bones tells me that it's related to channel strips that have been deleted that have been created by either bounce in place or selective track import? or possibly undo/redo delete?

But i'm having a hard time replicating the problem on an empty project haha. However it has happened to me enough times for it to be a noticeable problem/annoyance. I've just never posted about it before

I delete a channel strip or a few, either audio or instrument, then later on in the project when I create a new track it brings the old channel strip that I delete back, minus the regions.

This happens to me in L8, I just presumed when you delete tracks from the arrange or mixer, the objects are still in the environment (I've never checked though).

The usual time for this to happen to me is when I've created a multi-out instrument, but only used some of the outputs and deleted the unused ones. When I come to create Aux channels, it will pop up with the multi-out outputs I deleted earlier.

This happens to me in L8, I just presumed when you delete tracks from the arrange or mixer, the objects are still in the environment (I've never checked though).

The usual time for this to happen to me is when I've created a multi-out instrument, but only used some of the outputs and deleted the unused ones. When I come to create Aux channels, it will pop up with the multi-out outputs I deleted earlier.

this has also happened to me occasionally with L8 but for me it was when working on older projects that i started in L7.

when it happens i just hit the "create New Track" + button until a blank new track appears (usually after one or two tracks). then i delete the couple unwanted/already used tracks :?

something in my bones tells me that it's related to channel strips that have been deleted that have been created by either bounce in place or selective track import? or possibly undo/redo delete?

jtees, That's exactly what I think it comes down to!

I tried checking Automatic Management of Channel Strip Objects, no luck.

And I had previously tried hitting the "create New Track" + button until a blank new track appears, but unfortunately it doesn't solve my initial purpose for starting this thread, because once I drag the bip audio region in, the track is still not detected as a compressor sidechain.

:?

The only situation I can think of which can cause the problem you describe in post #1, is if you have experimented with having Automatic Management of Channel Strips set to OFF for a while. Even if you enable that feature again, the Environment may contain channel strips which won't automatically be deleted, and which may appear if you create a new track.

• 10 years later...
33 minutes ago, Corny said:

Most probably a bug in that (quite old, 2018 IIRC) version. Is it possible for you to update to a newer version?

Also, how exactly do you create new tracks? I'm asking because the New Track dialog will need you to specify what instrument is to be loaded or if a Default Patch is to be used.

Edited by polanoid

15 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Most probably a bug in that (quite old, 2018 IIRC) version. Is it possible for you to update to a newer version?

Also, how exactly do you create new tracks? I'm asking because the New Track dialog will need you to specify what instrument is to be loaded or if a Default Patch is to be used.

I try not to update at all. It usually causes more problems later on.

Usually, I create new track by clicking the "plus" button in the top-left side. And most of the times it works fine. Just sometimes it brings "deleted" tracks back. Even after I delete them from the Environment.

12 minutes ago, Corny said:

I try not to update at all. It usually causes more problems later on.

Interesting. From my experience Apple continue to fix bugs and add useful features. If you want to be safe, just make a copy of your currently installed version before updating. That's what I do all the time. Don't expect too much support from others if you stay on 10.4.2

12 minutes ago, Corny said:

Usually, I create new track by clicking the "plus" button in the top-left side. And most of the times it works fine. Just sometimes it brings "deleted" tracks back. Even after I delete them from the Environment.

That Plus button will bring up the New Track dialog. What are your settings in that dialog?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, polanoid said:

Interesting. From my experience Apple continue to fix bugs and add useful features. If you want to be safe, just make a copy of your currently installed version before updating. That's what I do all the time. Don't expect too much support from others if you stay on 10.4.2

That Plus button will bring up the New Track dialog. What are your settings in that dialog?

I totally understand that.

The settings are:

Screenshot 2022-08-01 at 12.45.57.png