Flex Time causes imported audio to shift in time

MartinBaird

Here's one I can't figure out. I recorded a drum set (5 mono tracks and one stereo track) in Digital Performer and imported the audio into Logic to touch up the timing. The song has several tempo changes (it starts at 135 bpm) so I successfully imported the Standard MIDI File from DP into Logic before I imported the audio. All of the imported audio tracks are exactly the same length. I also used the Remove Tempo Information from Audio File in the Options menu in Logic on all of the imported audio files before I dragged them into the Logic Arrange window.

Once all the tracks are in the Arrange window (all starting at bar 1, beat 1) I enabled Flex Time. The I chose Slicing for each track.

The audio within each track, except for the stereo overheads track, gets moved later in time by about a beat and a half. The stereo overheads track stays where it should - where it started. The waveforms within the blue blocks move later and the playback is later BUT the blue blocks (sorry for my poor terminology) still all start and end in exactly the same place and are all together - even the stereo track.

If I turn off Flex Time all the mono tracks stay in the wrong place. But if I choose Off instead of Slicing on each track, they go back to the correct position. I've tried all of this with and without the tracks grouped and phased locked with the same results.

If anyone has a solution I'd be very appreciative. I've spent the majority of the day today troubleshooting this with no luck.

Thanks very much,

Martin

Logic Pro 9.1.5

Mac OS X 10.6.8

Mac Pro Intel 8 core with 12GB of RAM

I believe I have also re-imported before to solve. Stripping tempo information in the original application first.

This also has happened to me once transferring from my friends Radar setup to Logic. I think we had to enter the correct tempo from Radar and re do the transfer. I could be wrong, as stated in the other post all this was a while back.

It's really bugging me that I can't recall exactly what we did to remedy the issue, but I think that was it. One of the above. ??? Somehow feel I may be missing something though.

I do know that anytime it has (this problem) has occurred it has been when either transferring or importing. Flex has always worked properly for me when just recording strait to Logic.

Thanks MW and FlowerPower for your replies.

I've tried, or already tried and have tried again, everything y'all have suggested. The only thing I haven't tried is stripping the tempo data from the audio files in Digital Performer before importing them into Logic. I'm not sure how to do that - will need to look it up.

Thanks Again,

Martin

Thanks MW and FlowerPower for your replies.

I've tried, or already tried and have tried again, everything y'all have suggested. The only thing I haven't tried is stripping the tempo data from the audio files in Digital Performer before importing them into Logic. I'm not sure how to do that - will need to look it up.

Thanks Again,

Martin