track fader vs aux fader mix question

Not sure if this is theory that is spilled over from analog days but I read recently that when mixing inside the box you should always make sure that your track faders are set lower than you bus faders or you risk overloading your bus faders even if your not hitting red on either. Does this still apply ?

Any explanation? I read this in the Mixing Engineer's Handbook 2nd edition. It's a little outdated obviously but a pretty legit book. Is it because we are at 32 bit floating now?

The statement does not make any sense, EVEN in the analog world. If your instruments were recorded low and need some gain, you can raise your track faders all the way up if you want to, and, assuming the instruments were recorded low enough, still not distort any bus on your analog mixer.

Faders control the amount of gain you're applying onto a signal. If a source is really, really low, it might still be very low even after applying a lot of gain to it.

Thanks for the feedback guys. The piece in that book is all about gain staging and even the pro tools software guru says that yes, it is very prudent to properly gain stage all your faders even in the box but A. I cannot hear the difference as long as nothing is peaking and B. like you said to actually maintain this kind of gain staging in a mix would be a huge pain in the ass. So....pointless I guess?