Peaks only during recording! [SOLVED]

lespaul1995

Hello! I was wondering why on my Mac Notebook when I record on either Logic or Garageband, why the input level spikes all the way up to 6. When I'm setting the level before recording, it's fine. It's just when I hit record the level peaks to the top. Also I have all levels set low from the sources like the Pod Farm 2 and other plug ins in Logic. It does it with Logic and non-Logic plug ins. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

It does it with Logic and non-Logic plug ins.

Plug-ins? Are you talking processing (effect) plug-ins, or instruments? Are you talking about a MIDI recording on a software instrument track? Or audio recording?

Also, can you please add your Logic version and system info to your signature: Read Me Before Posting - Forum Guidelines (#5)

For the plug ins, I was refering to "Amp Designer" and Line 6 Pod Farm 2. I'm running Logic Pro 9.1.5 (32 bit) on a Mac Book 4GB ram and OS10.6.8.

I'm trying to record audio files. I've since discovered the recording level in Garageband and it solved the problem in there, so basically what I'm wondering is where I find the recording level in Logic Pro.

Thanks!

Neither GarageBand nor Logic have a recording level. Upon recording, any digital audio software (including both Logic and GarageBand, but also Pro Tools, Fruity Loops, Quicktime, Cubase, Digital Performer, name-your-own-digital-audio-software) will simply take the digital data streamed by the audio interface and place that data (a bunch of zeros and ones) into an Audio File.

You have to adjust your record level with analog hardware, before Analog to Digital conversion, typically on mic or line pre-amps.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, the issue is STILL not resolved. I checked my hardware and output levels and the input meter reads fine before recording. The issue is DURING recording when the level mysteriously spikes.

What are you recording, how, using what...? Please add your Logic version and system info to your signature: Read Me Before Posting - Forum Guidelines (#5)

Your video helps a LOT, thanks for posting it, as it's the only way I had to know you were trying to adjust your recording levels without record-enabling the track. You're simply using the wrong method to set your recording levels. You cannot set recording levels by using the "I" button - that's only for input monitoring, and your meters show you the monitoring level. You can check that by adjusting the level fader while "I" is engaged: you'll see your level move.

To set your recording level, you need to record-enable the track.

I tried playing with everything while it was record enabled and I'm still getting the same thing. I'm wondering if I have to reinstall Logic.

How can you get the same thing (different level on the meter when clicking the record-enable button) when this time you should have your record-enable button engaged during the whole procedure? :?

I still believe you're not completely understanding the procedure. Reinstalling Logic won't change a thing, you simply have to understand how Logic works first.

Maybe you didn't understand what I was saying? Why don't you tell us what steps you're taking, and what behavior you're seeing that you think is not normal?

Thanks for telling me how to find that info about the Mac! I have updated it, so everything should show.

I tried playing with everything while it was record enabled and I'm still getting the same thing. I'm wondering if I have to reinstall Logic.

If you want to get your head around this you are going to have to 'see' what is going on.

It will involve three concepts:

:?

Actually, I am not even going to bother to explain it unless you reallllly must know the why of it.

What you need is an 'A-Ha' moment.

The simple solution for you is to follow the prior advice.

The bottom line(s):

NO CLIPPING at your interface input!

Rec-arm your track with your inserts and slighty adjust your interface input or whatever is feeding into your interface (in your case, lower it) until the input and output levels are where you like them.

Problem is solved! The problem was in the Pod Farm software with controls my UX2. There are no gain knobs on the interface itself. That's all controlled in this software. In the mixer section of Pod Farm, there's a couple of boost buttons that were activated. As far as adjusting the recording level, that's done from the System Preferences/Sound on the Mac itself. It's a matter of adjusting the input slider.

Thanks everyone for your help. It's much appreciated! :D

Problem is solved! The problem was in the Pod Farm software with controls my UX2. There are no gain knobs on the interface itself. That's all controlled in this software. In the mixer section of Pod Farm, there's a couple of boost buttons that were activated. As far as adjusting the recording level, that's done from the System Preferences/Sound on the Mac itself. It's a matter of adjusting the input slider.

Thanks everyone for your help. It's much appreciated! :D

There you go! You've found your hardware analog gain adjustment, even if it's controlled by software, you're still adjusting the analog signal pre-A/D conversion, which is what you want to adjust your recording level.

Glad to hear you resolved it.