Using waveforms in Logic Arrange for gain structure

babydaddymusic

One thing I like about pro tools is that I can trust the default waveforms when I record an audio track. If the waveform is small, I know at a glance that I can go in with hotter levels.

With Logic you can alter the height of a waveform by using the waveform zoom slider. Is there a way to default waveform behavior like it is in protools?

In other words, can I get Logic to the point that I can glance at a track and know that I recorded at too low or high coming into Logic?

I think with PT it's a combination of default track height and waveform zoom.

Is having the waveform zoom slider all the way down where it should stay? In other words if I move the slider up a little, am I basically taking a magnifying glass to a too small waveform OR should the slider actually be set in the middle to be at "zero" so to speak?

With Logic you can alter the height of a waveform by using the waveform zoom slider. Is there a way to default waveform behavior like it is in protools?

Logic's waveform default behavior is just like ProTools. You can change it, as you said, but you don't have to!

In other words, can I get Logic to the point that I can glance at a track and know that I recorded at too low or high coming into Logic?

Yes, do not use the waveform slider, or turn the feature off with the waveform zoom button or key command.

Is having the waveform zoom slider all the way down where it should stay?

Zoom slider all the way down makes the waveform zoom the same size as with zoom off, so it makes the waveform zoom features useless. If you don't want that feature, just turn it off (click the button below the zoom slider).

Thanks David- I have your Logic 8 book!

So basically then, if my waveform appears smallish in amplitude it's likely that the gain coming into Logic is low, just as it would be in protools?

I think another thing is that the horizontal zoom level in my PT 9 is set to fill the screen. So I need to look at my track height, and zoom defaults.

The thing with using the zoom slider is that not too much using it cuts the waveform off, or at least the waveform disappears into no-man's land making it appear as if the waveform is being cut off.

if my waveform appears smallish in amplitude it's likely that the gain coming into Logic is low, just as it would be in protools?

Yes. It's not "likely", it's sure: a smallish waveform represents a weaker signal.

The thing with using the zoom slider is that not too much using it cuts the waveform off, or at least the waveform disappears into no-man's land making it appear as if the waveform is being cut off.

Then don't use it? Or don't use it that much? It was intended to magnify small waveform, where even if you magnify you'd still be within the range of the region. My advice: learn what key command is assigned to the waveform zoom toggle on your system and use it to toggle it on/off as needed.

Archived